Does Common Sense Exist In Thailand?

thai people in the end are just like people, you find people with a lot of common sense, and you find people who seem to lack any form of common sense.

same with the expat population here. personally, i believe that the first common sense thing is as an expat, that you learn how to speak the language of the country you are living in.

how many people have i met who constantly complain about the "lack of common sense" here in thailand, the same people though you find getting constantly into the deepest shit because they just cannot communicate in the language and because of that make the worst cultural faux pas's imaginable.

reminds me of that group of guys i know who were beaten to pieces near soi cowboy 'cause they were sitting in front of long gun after refused admittance and let their anger out by insulting everyone coming in there anad out, and even insulting the king. common sense?

communication skills in the language of the country you are living in are incredibly important. so much of the appearant illogical decisions are explainable as soon as you have an understanding of the language and the culture.

expat common sense is first of all: LEARN THE LANGUAGE

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pattaya127,

>This friend of mine had his GF in his country and as she stayed home and it was cold, he showed her the thermostat, so she cramked it to the top, and when it was too hot...she opened the windows, thermostat still cranked up. he told me it took a few days for her to just do it the right way. Was she stupid? No.<

My guess is that on the first day she might be afraid of adjusting the termostat because she might break it? So she opted to open the window?

Well..I don't want to stir this thread but let me give you one example that to me farangs have no commom sense.

Farangs WALK IN THEIR HOME WITH THEIR SHOES ON, EVEN TO THE BEDROOM.

How about that? wink.gif

Your shoes are dirty. So why don't you leave it at the door outside somewhere before you get in the living roon, etc.

I know it's cold in the winter but what about in the summer?

Ok..ok..I'll leave....

GTG

OK, i let it rest, your last post relativised your first statement a lot. smile.gif

i just react very allergic to any form of "oh, aren't the thais stupid", i just have heard too many of those barstool sort of complaints about thais by the biggest farang loosers you can see.

so many farang project their own failures here in thailand on the thai people. instead of looking at themselves they tend to vent their anger in the form of racism.

so, no hard feelings smile.gif

Farangs WALK IN THEIR HOME WITH THEIR SHOES ON, EVEN TO THE BEDROOM.

How about that?

Your shoes are dirty. So why don't you leave it at the door outside somewhere before you get in the living roon, etc.

I know it's cold in the winter but what about in the summer?

--------

GTG,

Good to see ya back here............

You are right and wrong here, common sense says to take your shoes off, but this is a direct result of history : heating was non-existent till 30-40 years ago, so socks and shoes was a must.........

I for one five in a house with floor heating, always walk around barefoot winter and summer.

Cheers !

perfect example of common sense tied to the culture as well. We farangs like to act out of propriety sometimes, especially in our own home. Often i am back from work, pooped, and go thru my written mail lying on the bed, with my shoes on. It's bad, but hey, never mind, or better: mai pen rai..... tongue.gif

BelgianBoy

>Good to see ya back here............ <

Thanks. I was busy last month. I only read sometimes but didn't post.

GTG

GTG,

Actually, some of us here, esspecially High Thaied, P127, Khun sanuk and myself, wanted to sstart a search party for you.

We all thought you were married off somewhere and gone !

Cheers !

"Ok..ok..I'll leave...."

No, give us some more. I love cultural differences and that includes finding out about what others think is strange about us. One of the most fascinating things about Thailand to me is the "lack of common sense" thing.

For instance: Why do Thais drive so fast and yet walk so slowly? Why don't they let people get out of a crowded lift before they try to bundle in? What's with their strange sky-train escalator behaviour? And why is a joke funnier if it's punctuated by a comedy drum roll?

There will be more, oh yes. There will be more..

>And why is a joke funnier if it's punctuated by a comedy drum roll? <

i guess it's the same reason why in western sit coms every joke is followed by laughter from the tape so the audience knows that there was a joke.

Archived