What? We don't shower?

Fidel

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe it or not when I was a child I was told that Europeans did not bathe on a daily basis, usually a couple of times a week. The ratioanale was that they didn't have adequate plumbing systems and water was in short supply. Hence they were huge users of perfumes and colognes to mask their body odor. mind you I am an American so there might have been some sort of bias in these stories.

I will say that I have been to some European countries where good hygeine is not the norm. Therefore I don't find it shocking or odd that Thai people believe that farangs don't bathe regularly.

JJ,

Indeed, you are quite right about that...... why do you think deodorants and perfume was invented ???

When I was a kid at home, it was 2 baths a week, and same water for all of us.

Look at all old and big castles from years ago, all plumbing and heating is running on the walls / floors !

The famous Louvre never had any toilets, people and the king were shitting under the stairsways, people bathed once a year when changing clothes.....

Yep, dirty old times, and still nothing much changed here.........

I was an officer in the Belgian army (drafted) in the 70's...... what I've seen there....... I showed some guys how to use a shower and a towel....., yep and thats only 30 years ago !

A guy had pain in his foot and goes to the doc, doc sks to see both feet to compare, guy says : sorry doc, only washed the painfull foot !

Cheers !

Belgian Boy,

>The famous Louvre never had any toilets, people and the king were shitting under the stairsways, people bathed once a year when changing clothes..... <

I heard somewhere that when such palaces were so stink they built a new one and shit in it until they couldn't stand the smell then they started to build another one?????

I also learned that Louis XIV had only THREE baths in his entire life.

GTG

when i was a kid in France, the big day was saturday for taking a bath. Maybe add wednesday when i got over 12 or 13. I think it's an euro thing, not all countries!, as i find americans a lot more like thais about showers. I think thais do not understand we live under different climates, even now when i go to France, the weather is so different than in SF, i can let a day pass sometimes. i agree with one of the posters who mentionned heavy sewage (actually non-sewage) smells, and i add, BKK pollution. We are all aware that this causes tons of pulmonary diseases in the city, i guess it comes back to common sense, not that we smell (only some farangs), take care of yourself and your environment. Not sure thais lead when you add up all the concerns of a healthy lifestyle.

Pattaya127,

> i agree with one of the posters who mentionned heavy sewage (actually non-sewage) smells, and i add, BKK pollution. We are all aware that this causes tons of pulmonary diseases in the city, i guess it comes back to common sense, not that we smell (only some farangs), take care of yourself and your environment. Not sure thais lead when you add up all the concerns of a healthy lifestyle. <

I also agree them him. Often times I see people sweep the dust out of their home onto the street in front of their houses. It seems they only care to have their home clean than the public places.

Healthy lifestyle is a big issue. It includes healthy diet, excercise, stress management, etc. Some categories you might lead us but vice versa.

Comes back to shower thing. I saw an old pic of American soilders during Veitnam war showing Vietnamese villagers how to TAKE A BATH. laugh.gif The soliders put a child in a big dish (I don't know the English word for it but I hope you get the pic) trying to use it as a bath tub - I think. It is so funny. I know they have good intention to show the hygine but - showing us how to take a bath !

When I was studying in Farangland I tried to shower everyday. In the summer I did it twice a day just like when I'm in Thailand. But in the winter it was very HARD to keep it even once a day because it was so cold and I was freezing. Hot water didn't help but kept my skin flack. Took another 5 mins to apply very thick lotion. frown.gif

The longest duration for me not to take any shower is FOUR days. Ok Ok.. I was studying hard and felt like doing nothing except studied, ate and slept.

Here you go. My confession to you guys. wink.gif

GTG

Archived