What? We don't shower?

Fidel

it is true that relative to asians most westerners don't shower as frequently

where i'm from (middle class england) most women shower once a day and most men shower once every 1- 4 days

i have a large house in London and so frequently have friends/collegues visiting for days at a time - most of the guys (generally middle -upper middle class professionals) shower once every 2 or 3 days - all my asian visitors shower once or twice per day

personally i shower once a day unless i can't be bothered then its one every 2 days

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This "not showering" thing is an old chestnut that's been applied to almost every nation or region. When I was younger, we used to joke about the French not bathing.

I shower once a day when in England, but more often if I'm getting hot or sweaty. So, it's usually a few times a day in Thailand.

Hmm. Fidel, I wonder if she's going to get more confident and ask you if it's true that foreigners are more likely to have HIV/Aids..

>The longest duration for me not to take any shower is FOUR days. Ok Ok.. I was studying hard and felt like doing nothing except studied, ate and slept. <

the longest for me was a couple of weeks a few times. in tibet and other high himalayan areas you generally don't find many showers. fortunately you don't notice bad smell in the thin air that much, but CHRIST, when you come down to lower altitudes...! smile.gif

Recent stats in the Benelux ( = Belgium + Netherlands + Luxemburg ) showed that the people here shower or bathe on average every 4.7 days......... but more in summer than in winter.

Jesus, BB,

You have to watch out for our reputation here!!!! I don't know a single person in the netherlands who needs 4.7 days to wash up. Maybe things are different in the Belgian Kingdom wink.gif

Cheers,

soongmak

I also learned that Louis XIV had only THREE baths in his entire life.

GTG,

Not only in europe. If i remember correctly the illustruous Mao never took a bath as well. Only steamy hot towels on occasions to clean his body only occasionally. He preferably washed his w**ly between the legs of a virgin crazy.gif

Cheers,

soongmak

i try to shower everyday in farangland,but when in LOS so many times a day.

heat,girls(before and after) etc.

but when i took 'my girl' to her village for 3 nights and stayed in her family house,no way could i shower.

just a water butt filled with water with ice floating in it and an old saucepan for pouring the water all over you.

not for me,i like the water hot and i took the chore of boiling water on a campfire so that i could wash the important bits.

big source of trouble when taking a shower with a girl,them saying the water was 'lorn' and after adjusting the temperature,me complaining it was 'yen'.

"I know they have good intention to show the hygine but - showing us how to take a bath !"

GTG,

Is it possible what you saw was a picture of US soldiers with Montagnards in Vietnam? These are a hill tribe people distantly related to some Thai hill tribes and were strong allies of the US in the Vietnam war.

Hill tribes have different bathing practices from their lowland cousins and even from each other.

Seems like a good probability.

I also think the hygiene of the backpacker crowd is often less than that of sanukers or tourists.

I taught dozens and dozens of them on Phi Phi. Wasn't always the most pleasant job.

One bus trip to BKK from Phuket, I was seated next to a backpacker from a Southern European country that shall remain nameless. 10 hours of the worst torture I could imagine. I doubt the guy had bathed all week.

In the US I bathe once in the morning and again after exercise or working outside.

In Thailand I bathed morning, Mid-day, and before bed.

Never let them see you sweat. laugh.gif

Jesus, BB,

You have to watch out for our reputation here!!!! I don't know a single person in the netherlands who needs 4.7 days to wash up. Maybe things are different in the Belgian Kingdom

Soongmak,

First of all, my name is BB, not Jesus.....

Secondly, I know these figures are hard to explain, but it is reality........ look around you at work, sportcentres, airports and so on.... the stats are for all ages and all groups of people, and unfortunately I believe it to be true !

Cheers ! BB ( not the other one )

Jesus, BB,

You have to watch out for our reputation here!!!! I don't know a single person in the netherlands who needs 4.7 days to wash up. Maybe things are different in the Belgian Kingdom

Soongmak,

First of all, my name is BB, not Jesus.....smile.gif

Secondly, I know these figures are hard to explain, but it is reality........ look around you at work, sportcentres, airports and so on.... the stats are for all ages and all groups of people, and unfortunately I believe it to be true !

Cheers ! BB ( not the other one )

Archived