Why oh why do footballers write books?

the book was ghost written by eamonn dunphy.

in his words "i used artistic license and have paraphrased many of keane's opionions.

there is a passage about haaland and i am as much responsible for that,as a writer,rather than roy(keane).i should take the rap".

of course you are right to say it's not the writer who is guilty of 'assault'.

but we do not know exactly what are keane's words and what are the writers.

is keane the first person to 'commit assault' on the field of play?,and will he be the last?.

when have the police ever got involved at the time of a bad tackle?.

will they ever?,i don't think so.

i long for the day when they walk on the pitch and arrest a player for assault.

and what of haalands comments on his website a month after the incident.

"under the headline KNEE INJURY WAS'NT CAUSED BY KEANE.

i want to make it clear that it was not the knee that took the knock in the derby,despite what some papers have written.

it's my left knee that's been bothering me and it was clearly shown on SKY that it was the right knee that took the knock.it's been bothering me for 3 months".

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"when have the police ever got involved at the time of a bad tackle?.

will they ever?,i don't think so. "

From www.sportserver.com:

"GLASGOW (Nov 8, 1995 - 18:24 EST) - Everton striker Duncan Ferguson lost his appeal on Wednesday against a Scottish Football Association (SFA) 12-match ban.

The SFA's appeals tribunal rejected his plea for leniency over the suspension, which followed an on-field assault on Raith's John McStay while playing for Rangers in April last year. The butting offense also resulted in a three-month jail sentence"

As you see Sayann, a player has been sentenced for on field assault on another player...

There is a big difference between players going in hard ior even fouling players it's a mans game n all that but to admit that your intention was to delibiraely hurt an opponent is beyond. Fair enough some players will go in on opponents to win some sort of psycological battle but Keane's was a down right assault on Haaland all because there was bad blood between them and the reason that the bad blood exists is because Keane received a bad injury trying to hurt Haaland previously.

He showed what a spoilt wanker he was before the world cup. How most fair minded Man U fans can support him I dont know.

As for Fergie supporting him If he can defend Cantona he can defend anything.

Doog2k was right if he played for another club he would be in big shit right now.

Robbie9god

Yes I have been to Old Firm Matches, have you? Probably not.

So you really think Fergie tells his team to stand back, let the opposition play, dont tackle etc? dont be so naive and try to deflect the blame. I am sure Arsenal, Leeds, Liverpool, City fans etc can come up with a list of "I cant believe they got away with that " list than I.

As for the description of thug, I stand by that. What else can you call a man who thinks fair play to Cantona (on his karate kick - which incindently also brought about a criminal conviction)

Paddy bashing ? hmm lets see, Fergie is Scottish. wrong, Man U are English. wrong, Keane is Irish - ok 33% sucess rate. Hang on. Guess what, I was cheering the Irish in the World cup !!

No, thug bashing is what it is. No other reasons need apply, they will not be interviewed.

I think Ferguson was detained after the match, but I am not sure about that.

I would think the police would be very careful to walk out on the pitch arresting a player because fear of trouble in the crowd. But its in their power to do it.

Its not like the player has any chance of getting away if they wait for some minutes anyway....

I think the chances of the police acting immediately as they would on the street would have various sport associations quaking in their boots.

The usual excuse in the uk is that the police present will only react if a complaint is made by somebody or there is such a fuss that the crown prosecutor looks at any available evidence after the fact and asks the police to issue an arrest warrant. ( as in Cantona / Ferguson ) the game authorities were going to be happy to deal with the matters in house.

Think of the number of arrests in a rugby union game or ice hockey for breach of the peace / assault there would be !!!

As I'm a Liverpool supporter,attending old firm matches has never been high on my agenda.But I rarely if ever miss them on T.V.Like most local derbies these matches are full blooded with no prisoners taken.Tempers fray and tackles fly in.And you can be bl**dy sure players loose the rag and purposely try to hurt opponents.It's the way of the game.

In Keanes book he admitted to trying to "do" haaland but is he the only player in recent times guilty of this offence??I think not.Ian Wright on Peter Schmicel Gazza on gary charles,Fashanua on Gary Mabbut,Graeme Le Saux on just about everbody,this is part of the game.Keane is guilty of two things,1. a dreadful tackle for which he was sent off and suspended and 2.being stupid enough to put his name to a tell all book while still playing.

A thug??Then you might as well label most people who have played the game at any level as thugs. If Keane is a thug then rugby players should be locked up for life.

What about Woodgate and Bowyer.And the latest cases John Terry,Jodie Morris and Des Byrne??Why single out 1 player.

Keane is an unpopular player among his fellow pros and supporters of most other clubs.He did it,he meant to do it but he's not the first and won't be the last.

I haven't read his comments on Cantona but while I don't condone what he did,the guy he attacked got exactly what he deserved.I can't remember what the guys name was but he did get banned from football grounds for life.How many pro footballers would have liked to have done what Carragher did with the coin in the cup match v Arsenal.Players are only human and are entitled to loose the rag,same as anybody else.

As for a manager publically defending his players,that his job.

How often does Arsene Wenger "not see that incident".Gerard Houllier defended Steven Gerrard for his tackle on Boateng last season.A manager has to stand up for his players in public and then deal with it behind closed doors.David o Leary lost his job at Leeds partly because he lost the support of his players because he didn't deal with problems in house.Ferguson sold Jaap Stam last season because he told the world Fergie tapped him up.Fergie still says he sold him for footballing reasons but the whole world knows different.He deals with things his way,the private way and that is a major reason why he has been so successful and is spoken of in the same breath as Shankly,Paisley,Revie or Jock Stein.

You may not like either Keane or Ferguson but you have to give them credit for what they have achieved,regardless of how they've achieved it.

As for the Paddy Bashing comment,if I was wrong you have my apologies.

yes he might have been detained after the match.

but my point is WHEN WILL THEY WALK ON THE PITCH AND ARREST SOMEONE?.

never i think

too scared of the reaction from other people.

it's easy to have a go at the player,but if the authorities refuse to do anything,then what can we do?.

Archived