Why oh why do footballers write books?

I am probably the least qualified to comment being a Yank but I would think that unless there was a fistfight that resulted in serious injury or worse I don't think you'll see police on the pitch.

Hard, even vicious, retaliatory tackles have, do and will occur. It may lessen the level of play if a player thinks he may be arrested on the pitch for a viciouis tackle. Even arrested back in the locker room after the game.

We've had fistfights in American sports. Hockey being the most obvious, its part of the game, benches cleared in baseball with whole teams caught up in the melee. American Football also. Maybe it can be said 'well that's America, and this is England' but its all sports and its akin to war. The players and managers use war-like phrases in motivating their sides.

I don't think arresting will or should be done on the pitch short of a knife or gun being used.

The sole exception is if its the opposition and its done to Arsenal.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK robbie - no probs

You are right, the main problem is he did it and admitted it. I have seen a lot of bad tackles but none that I would rate as bad as that one. There are very few I would class as premeditated with intent to injure ( foul yes, injure no )

I dont think most who have played it at a high level can be called thugs - Beckham, Giggs, Overmanrs, Owen ?. You can be a great player and not resort to what Keane has too often. You can even be hard and still not be a thug.

Also agree about Wenger, he and Fergie almost tie for the Nelson What Signal ? award for the blind manager of the year. I really dont understand why they dont just be honest. Its ok to back a player when he is right but when he is in the wrong all you need to say is, "the player was wrong and I will speak to him about it" no more than that and it would be settled.

If I remember right

"Football is a game for gentlemen played by thugs and Rugby is a game for thugs played by gentlemen" cant remember who said it but its right.

I will give everyone odds of 1000/1 on the police arresting a player on the field of play in the next 5 years. The police dont want to know.

i little away from the keane issue.

this week,ashley cole of arsenal has been accused of getting 4-5 opponents sent off in the past year.

once again he got someone else sent off the weekend,but the player[cisse] has been cleared of any wrongdoing.

but has cole been charged with anything,of course not.

will he carry on and do this and because he won't admit it,get away with it.

we will only know the truth when he writes his book.

keanes has been stupid by admitting what he did.

there have been articles in papers during the week from ex players admitting they done things premeditated and because of this reason nothing is said.

keane says he wanted to hurt haaland and was wrong,he should have waited until he retired before writing the book.

and i have seen much worse tackles in the past then this one.

yes it was a bad one and i do not condone what keane done,but at the moment haaland's career is not over.

but now he has an excuse to retire and get compensation.

a good friend of mine had his career ended when deliberately assaulted by a fellow professional [the player admitted it in a newspaper article],but as it was lower league,it does not attract the same amount of attention.

keane has had a lot of flak lately.

but tonight against chelsea he was awsome again.

he does'nt seem bothered about all the talk.

flame away guys,but i think utd should have won.

hit the woodwork 3 times and i think that says it all.

but let us think about the moment of silence.

tonight and tomorrow every game will start with a minutes silence for holly and jessica.

let's hope everyone observes this.

the girls deserve this.

Archived