Why oh why do footballers write books?

Now, it's the turn of Manchester United's Roy Keane to get into hot water over words written in his forthcoming autobiography. Apparently in a meaningless local derby with Man city (meaningless in that United were already champions and City were down) Keano deliberately went out to injure Alf-Inge Haaland with one of the worst tackles ever seen. According to Roy 'bad blood' had existed between the two of them for several seasons.

You'd think that Roy with his 56,000 quid a week and his mansion in the leafy stockbroker belt would know how to keep his trap shut.

And let's not forget that the only reason Jaap Stam no longer wears the red shirt is because in his memoirs he admitted to meeting Fergie in secret at an Amsterdam hotel.

As the wise old Andy Gray rightly said "There's only one time to think about writing a book. And that's when your career is over"

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Money!Bucket loads of money!Although in Roy Keanes situation there might be another motive.While Stams book named and slated teamates Keanes does not.I believe Fergie will be delighted(privately)with Keanes book which has been timed to light a fire under some of utds under performing stars who he claims are still living on the glory of 1999 and the treble.If you look past the tabloids bulls**t headlines and read his actual quotes he actually doesn't point the finger but defends both Veron and Blanc.According to Keane both were unfairly singled out from the rest of the team last season.He also includes himself in the players who have to do better.

Keane has never been interested in "being one of the lads".The only thing he wants is success.The premiership and champions league.Keane and Ferguson are very much the same.They are both ruthless when it comes to achieving their goals.I wouldn't be surprised if this book was Ferguson playing mind games again.

good for keano.

i must admit he should have waited until the career was over,but at least he's honest.

wears his heart on his sleeve and does'nt give a toss what the establishment thinks.

fergie must be rubbing his hands in glee knowing how much keane want's the trophy back this season and if it stirs the others on,then not a bad thing.

Yeah he should keep his fucking mouth schtum.But like the two posts above,Keane's probably got ulterior motives for saying/releasing all this now,ie, a sales boost and kick up the arse for his team-mates.

Gordan Taylor said today,you would have thought he (Keane) would have let this go by now,but no,the stupid cunt brings himself into disrepute,admitting ney,confirming it was premeditated.The tackle/assault on Haaland has been all over the news programmes all day,a FUCKING horrific challenge.

I'v said before on a different thread somewhere on this forum,I hope somone repays the dirty scrote.GMP today have said if Haaland makes a complaint they'll be investigating,I'd prefer Alfie to do a Martin cunt Buchan on Keane.

I'm more inclined to be in the 'keep your mouth shut' camp. Why? There's an implied confidentiality in fields where people have a public following. Its an usaid rule amongst athletes, entertainers and politicians that whatever happens in the locker room, on the road or on Downing street/oval office stays there. It affects too many people who owe part of their living to the public and also affects their family indirectly.

If it has to be done, let it be years later when all parties are too old to care and then your memoirs can be written maybe but it seems too soon to me.

Now I've seen the tackle replayed upteen times on the news, all I can say is that you didn't need a book to tell you that he was deliberately trying to injure Haaland. The 'attempt' was so divorced from the ball that it was fucking obvious. Logically, if they were going to charge him, they could just have well charged him there and then.

Worst tackles ever seen:

1) Schumacher on Batiston (World Cup semi-final 1982)

2) Half the Cameroon team on Cannigia (World Cup opening game 1990)

Sayjann,

I am not so sure you would be saying the same if it were a non Man U player making these remarks or if it were a man u player that had lost his livliehood due to a premeditated attack.

Honest or not it does not show Keane in a good light.

Does it go on in the game ? of course I am sure that it does Why would it not in a sport where cheating appears to be an integral part of the game and managers in the main will support their players to the end of the earth as long as matches are won

I had a fair amount of respect for Keane until recent events - world cup etc but he seems to have lost the plot imo. not unusual in todays football

There is an interesting article on soccernet by Ian Wooldridge

which starts with this statement

'There must be some redeeming feature in the character of Roy Keane, the Manchester United and when-it- suits-him Ireland footballer, but so far, as his serialised biography unfolds in The Times, it is hard to discern one. '

Fcuking laughable,the Knight of the realm purple face twat himself comes out and defends/backs Keane,nowt wrong or amiss he says,even blames Haaland for fueling it all,sick jock cnut

What an example to set hey? for all the millions of man ure wankers/sheep youngsters around the world,ie try to foul a fellow pro,trip yourself up,put yer-sen out fer a year,hold a grudge,premeditate an outrageous revenge assault 3 years later,admit to it two years later in a book coz yer an avaricious/thick/ill advised twat.

This wanker has hopefully dug his own grave

From MCFC t'neet.

--------

CITY INSTRUCT LAWYERS

Manchester City have decided to act following reported comments by Roy Keane on his challenge on Alfie Haaland in the Old Trafford derby seventeen months ago.

Manchester City have instructed a firm of solicitors following published extracts from Roy Keane's forthcoming autobiography that the midfielder had intended to harm Alfie Haaland when he tackled him in the Old Trafford derby seventeen months ago.

The club statement reads as follows:

"Following discussions today at Maine Road between the Football Club, Alfie and his legal advisers, it has been agreed to jointly instruct a leading firm of solicitors regarding the circumstances surrounding Roy Keane?s tackle on 21st April 2001."

"This action has been taken with a view to commencing legal proceedings against Roy Keane and his employers Manchester United Football Club."

The National press had widely reported the Republic of Ireland's comments from the book, Keane - The Autobiography, in which the midfielder speaks of the tackle on the Norwegian at Old Trafford that earned him a red card.

"I waited until five minutes before the end, " the midfielder is reported as saying. " I hit him hard. I think the ball was there. Take that you ****'. I didn't even wait for the referee to show the red card. I turned and walked to the dressing room."

============

Would'nt wanna be a rag in town tomoz

Archived