Mistaken Identity

phiketpete

Has this happened to you?

It has now happened to me twice in the same bar and i now believe there is someone going around Bangkok impersonating me or unfortuante enough to have been born looking like me.

There is a bar on Sukhumvit I go into from time to time more regularly previously now every other month or so.

Earlier this year I ventured in and sat down at the bar. A couple of girls came up and started talking to me saying it was good to see me again and talking about my girlfriend who used to work at the bar. Well I had never clapped eyes on the girls before nor had i ever had a girl friend from this bar not even a ST.

It took me awhile to somewhat convince the girls that I was not the person that they thought -- they really thought that i was just joking and that it was indeed me with the girlfriend.

Anyway i left not thinking twice.

Well I was back there again yesterday and up strolls a girl not one of the two who had walked up the last time.

Says hello starts talking to me nonstop in Thai. I tell her that i do not speak Thai and what is she talking about . She refuses to believe me and continues in Thai informing another girl that I am being a pain in the ass for not conversing with her in my fluent thai which she knows i can speak due to my previous visits to the bar.

Now this girl i have seen before in the bar, but i do not speak thai and am starting to feel strange.

This conversation goes on the whole of the time I am sat there downing my beer-- very confusing

Does drinking thai beer also enable the imbiber to speak the language fluently yet forget everything as soon as the evening is over.

Do I try to run a tab at this bar pretending to be the other guy?

What does this other guy want from me?

Most bizarre

This has probably happened to everybody at one time, or another......... "No, it was you, I'm positive I saw you there", someone will tell you, when you know it could not have been.

Now, if it starts happening in more bars than just the one, then THAT would be a little odd.

It's been said Thai bar-girls have memories like elephants. Well...my last vist I went into Rainbow 2 for a second time in 3 days, and a girl came up to me, and started asking the usual "Where you flom, how long you stay". I had to remind her that I had already answered all her questions 3 days prior. She looked at me, eye's got big, and started to profusly aplologize. Just goes to show they can make mistakes, and are not always that keen.

HT

"...It's been said Thai bar-girls have memories like elephants..."

For sure! I remember last year I got a little honey from that bar in NEP, the one as you come off the escalator, make a left, in the corner, the one that always seems to change names...anyway, this last trip in June, I was walking on Soi Cowboy, and I see this girl, she calls me by name, and says she remembers me, we went to Majestic etc...even remembered I was from California! I would have considered going again with her, but she was at Baccarat, and I refuse to pay a 600bht bf...guess she also remembered I am a cheap charlie!

Phiketpete,

Obviously, you have multiple personalities, one of which speaks fluent Thai and frequents this bar. smile.gif Actually, this happened to me at Annies last trip. I went in, the first day of my stay in BKK, and the new girl at the bar says "back again...?" she insisted I was there that morning...well at least they think I have that kind of "Power!"

Maybe you have a Twin brother?

I had a similar experience in a gogo bar in Soi Cowboy. I sat around then chatting with a dancer and paid her a drink. Nothing more and i leaved after 20 minutes. One year later i came back and sat somewhere in this bar. After a while Mamasan cames to me and told me that she would remember me. She told me all details about my first coming. The she told me this girl i paid a drink is dancing at the moment. I told Mamasan that i think it was not me. But she deatils where i sat how long i was there, which beer i drank etc. Then she asked the girl. But she dont remember me also. But Mamasan still insists and told me this girl had short hair a year ago. Then i starting to remember everything. I think Mamasan has an elephant brain!

I had two separate funny experiences last month.

1. whlst in a bar on my first night a dancer raced up to me and remembered me from a LT at Xmas. She remembered my name/occupation/country of origin/hotel/age/conversation topics etc etc...but apologised because she had forgotten the room number. Bingo she had me eating out off her hand...I was most impressed.

2. A week later i walked into Thermae and two girls started looking at me in a curious manner then came over for a chat. To cut a long story short, a couple of hour later when the 3 of us were eating after a round of fun, one of them said that I looked just like her German BF. When she produced his photo I nearly fell off my stool...he was my twin (poor bugger). They then told me that when they first saw me they though I was him and that worried her because he was sending her 10 grand a month to be a good girl.

"Says hello starts talking to me nonstop in Thai. I tell her that i do not speak Thai and what is she talking about . She refuses to believe me and continues in Thai informing another girl that I am being a pain in the ass for not conversing with her in my fluent thai which she knows i can speak due to my previous visits to the bar."

If you do not speak Thai, then how do you know what she was saying? Busted! You're just trying to set up some sort of alibi, using us as false witnesses. Well, it won't work now. Give it up.

Incidentally, did you know that you bear a remarkable resemblance to Belgian Boy?

Archived