Report 90 days for One-Year-Visa

didierhardy

seems that this is one of those brilliant ideas which simply gets ignored by everyone involved as it is a useless hazzle for immigration people and workpermit holders equally.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread puzzles me. Based on my experience, the Dept. of Labor office will not accept a work permit renewal package without a 90 day report. It is a simple, one-page letter in Thai language. I don't think they read it, or care what it says. But this requirement is just like the requirement for photos, and tax receipts, etc. It is a pass/fail, go/no-go item.

I would be very interested in learning the details of how to bypass the administrivia requirements. It defies my experience to to get a work permit renewed without photos, tax receipts, copies of company registration, etc. - and a 90 day report document. Whatever clerk is sitting at the station when your number comes up at Dept of Labor does a "checklist" style audit of your package. No 90 day report, and the packet gets rejected.

My comments have nothing to do with the issue of a 90 day report for visa purposes. As far as I can tell, it is a non-issue, as long as you stay out of trouble in other regards.

But, then again, this is Thailand - somewhere between the looking glass and the wizard's Oz.

"Let the good times roll !"

Stone Soup

>But, then again, this is Thailand - somewhere between the looking glass and the wizard's Oz.<

LOL!

honestly, so far i have never had a problem, nobody ever asked me for that paper yet.

also the tax issue is handled very funny. the first time the immigration guys told me just to get a receipt, don't care how much was written on. then they told me that i should pay a bit more the next year, so we made deal that i should pay for a fictional amount of 10 000 baht income a month.

i have no idea how the tax system works, in my local office here i just tell them for how much income i am supposed to pay tax, and they calculate for some time and give me my receipt. takes about 30 minutes altogether.

i think i pay more or less 500 baht tax a year, and hardly any paperwork. smile.gif

This 90 day report requirement is only for holders of Visas that have more than a 90 day validity.

a. The date is 90 days after each arrival, and then every 90 days. Every time you leave (and come back) this date is reset.

b. The problem comes up (as mentioned earlier) only when it is time to renew your work permit. There is never a check when you leave the country.

c. If you are using a service to do the work permit for you, maybe they are doing this requirement on your behalf. There is no charge or fee to submit the form, and it can be submitted by anyone on your behalf.

I do agree that this regulation is not enforced anywhere except BKK, and is only enforced when you need to go to immigration for something else like work permit matters.

What type of Visa do you have (the stamp in your passport) ?

It should be a Non-Immigrant O Visa - correct ?

I believe that the answer for you is yes, you should be reporting every 90 days (at least in Bangkok).

That said, I don't know if you will have a problem when you renew your Visa next year. Would be interesting to find out from another board member who has done this process.

Cheers!

Since 1998 it seems to be enforced for those who register but perhaps without much check on those who don't. It seems to be extra work for everyone involved. Suspect it may have ended were it not for the 9/11 concerns.

Requirement seems to be to register from one week before until one week after you are in the country 90 days and every 90 days thereafter (exit/return would count as report on day of return?). Being more than a week late reporting results in 2,000 baht fine and if found at departure point could result in 4,000 baht fine and 200 baht per day overstay charge from what I have seen on various web sites.

Several years ago, this nonsense all started. The story was that the head of that particular immigration office was away, and an underling decided to impress his boss with his zealousness by invoking an apparently forgotten (probably DELIBERATELY forgotten) rule that all foreign residents had to report their address every 90 days. By the time the poobah got back, the papers had reported on the change and all -- and it would have been something of a loss of face to say that it had been done without his knowledge.

True or not, the 90 day rule has been ignored more than complied with. I do so, though most of my colleagues never report. But just recently one Brit colleague got hit for 2,000 baht when he went to get a reentry permit. He said he could have been fine much more than that, but the officer was easy on him because of the his position (Thai government employee) and his politeness. It seems the problem was that the Farang had begun reporting every 90 days, and then decided not to bother anymore. Thus Immigration had his name in their computer files, which when brought up showed he was not following the rule.

If you are married and have a one year visa, should you report every 90 days? Yes, according to the law. The whole thing is ridiculous and even Immigration realises that. But if you have started and then stopped, expect to be fined sooner or later. Also, if you show up at Immigration and mention to them that you haven't been doing it, you are also sure to be fined. Best thing in that situation is to play ignorant. It really becomes assinine when the Thai government hires you and you go to work in a Thai government office every day, and then the Immigration police come along and insist that you get a work permit (which by law you do NOT need) or they won't give you a visa -- and also must report your address every 90 days. (As if your boss wouldn't know where you are...)

<< This thread puzzles me. Based on my experience, the Dept. of Labor office will not accept a work permit renewal package without a 90 day report. It is a simple, one-page letter in Thai language. I don't think they read it, or care what it says. But this requirement is just like the requirement for photos, and tax receipts, etc. It is a pass/fail, go/no-go item. >>

Maybe it depends who you work for. Regulations such as these are aimed at private companies. But Immigration slapped them on government employees as well. Still, I know any number of people (Thai government hire) who have never reported even once for the 90-day form. Since it is a Thai civil servant who carries the forms down to Immigration and Labour, maybe that explains the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived