Moderators...what's going on???

itsmedave

The new thought police???

At the risk of becoming an Orwellian non-person, I thought it was time to comment on what seems to be a disturbing trend among the moderators.

We have new rules, a permanent message at the beginning of each section, posts about how any disparaging remarks about moderators gets you thrown off for good (amid seemingly tearful confessions about how they're picked on so much), and now an increasing amount of uncalled for advice on what should and shouldn't be written about.

Just yesterday somebody posted an innocent message in the Nightlife section asking about the dance contest in Patpong when the moderator immediately replied that we shouldn't talk about it since Nanapong was involved and suggestions he might need to close the thread. Why??? It was certainly nightlife related, not a flame, and definately of interest to many of the people here.

Did I fall asleep and miss the time when this board became so chaotic that these measures became necessary??? When we made Ajarn.com look like the Mickey Mouse Club? Have moderators been stalked at their homes and places of business? Have families been threatened? Or is it that some people just can't take being called wrong? Is it possible you moderator types are taking yourselves just a tad too seriously?

I certainly haven't noticed a mass of flame wars. Sure, it happens from time to time but for the most part the posters here are very civilized. Why must they be treated like children?

It seems to me that a good moderator is always there in the background watching, there to help if needed, but happier to leave well enough alone. In the ideal world, we shouldn't even know you're there until something goes wrong. In other words...back off.

One big reason many of us who used to post mainly on Nanapong but now are exclusive here is because of their "in-your-face" moderating style. It would be a shame if this became another place of opinated power mad people with access to the kill button.

Lastly, to avoid the knee-jerk "if you don't like it, go away" response, let me just point out that I have been a faithful member for 3 years now. I rarely get involved in the fringe conversations some of you seem to be so deathly afraid of, and I'm only writing because I DO like it, and don't want to see this bad trend continue.

Thank you for your attention and kind reply.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave,

I agree with much of the intent of your post, but KS has made it clear that he wants to bring some order unto the chaos which was unravelling on the Board. There WAS a substantial amount of flaming in the period leading up to the 'crackdown', and I guess its the old case of the pendulum swinging a little too far back to the authoritarian side of the equation. Apologies for a badly mixed metaphor ...

My own rationale is that KS has to keep the board running, so he has the last word on etiquette. Some of the moderators do seem a tad overzealous in their efforts to run a 'tight ship', but I expect that things will die down to a more self-governing pace once we all get used to the new world order.

As long as people like Old Hippie, GTG, Lazy Phil, Fiery Jack, Stick and Bangkok Phil frequent the Board, I'll keep coming back. NP still rules smile.gif

Hi,

I am sorry you feel this way, Itsmedave, but as Artiew mentioned there have been quite a few problems. Some of which you may never have noticed precisely because the moderators are doing a good job.

We have our own forum in which to discuss issues and this forum sees a lot of traffic, indicating to me that the moderating is not as easy as it would seem to an outsider.

Furthermore, most of the rules have been set to prevent problems, and to make it clearer what is and what is not acceptable. This so we as moderators will have to step in less.

The Nanapong incident you mentioned was maybe a bit over-zealous, but please keep in mind the history between our two boards, as well as how many of the threads on Nanapong end. DB was just doing his job in an effort to prevent this from happening again.

Finally, I am not really that happy with the tone of your post, implying that we wish to control people too much and are a bunch of cry-babies.

I would say that 99% of the people here have no idea what it entails to moderate a board this size, yet most do feel they need to bitch about it when they don't agree with a decision or a policy. And I have to spend some of my time to explain things again. It gets old....

I know you, and I know you didn't mean any harm with your post, but unless you have had the job as a moderator please give them, and me, a little slack, okay?

Sanuk!

<Finally, I am not really that happy with the tone of your post, implying that we wish to control people too much and are a bunch of cry-babies. >

I've had several threads/post get deleted. Some I'm not sure why, but it's your board and I'm sure you have your reasons for the rules. In those famous 3 words "UP TO YOU" smile.gif

Hi,

"I've had several threads/post get deleted. Some I'm not sure why,"

If you are not certain why, feel free to contact the moderator for the forum. And have you considered that the thread may not have been deleted, but moved?

This moving happens regularly when people start threads in the wrong forum.

Sanuk!

Archived