Moderators...what's going on???

itsmedave

Overall I think the moderators here do a very good job.

With that being said yes the new section rules do sound a bit annoying but hey we always knew his board was not a democracy.

I think the problems with moderating in general occur when the moderators participate in the discussions and may get a bit to personally involved which could impair their objectivity.

The Nanaplaza moderators IMO do give posters a fair warning and will even let a thread play out until it gets totally out of whack and eventually dies of it's own accord. They also allow topics hat actually bend their rules as long as the discussion remains civil.

I really don't think any of the moderators are into the thought police mode unless you call P127 "mushy gushy love and understand the people" posts thought policing or DB trying to put every thought into a statistic.

Take it from me as someone who has been banned from another board for defending myself against the rudeness of a moderator and his moderating friends. The Nanaplaza guys do a very good job keeping the balance around here.

Now if we could ever discuss Thai politics then I would think this board would reach near perfection

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi JJ,

Just a little history here. Main board rules were changed to address a couple of things. First, to clarify existing rules. Flaming, for example. Before: flaming will not be tolerated! Well....we had too many posters complaining that so and so had said something that sounded like a flame, and so why were we calling him on it. Drugs, is another example. We had too many posters (particularly in trip reports) bringing in drug use they encountered, so instead of having to go into many posts, and ask poster to change, or change ourselves, we simply defined what was acceptable.

Clarification is actually just as beneficial to the members, as it is to the mod's. It let's everyone be on the same page, and takes away much of the guesswork as to what you can post, and cannot. If you look closely, the changes that were made are not heavy-handed at all.

Locked threads in every forum: (not all done yet, but will happen). We have always had individual forum rules, believe it, or not. The problem is that they were very well hidden, and not many members were aware of them. We just made them more visible, and spent a lot of time in deciding what changes should be made to them. These new 'read me' threads can now be edited by the forum mod, which in the past, could not. This enables us now to address current issues, and keep them up-to-date. Some of all this has to do with the version of UBB this board runs under. We will be upgrading very soon, which will make things more visible (like being able to get to the main board rules easier). Much of the changes we have made are in anticipation of this impending upgrade, and will all make a little more sense when that happens.

As KS has said, we do have a private mod forum. We have all spent a great deal of time discussing what changes should be made, and how to format it. Any input on changes we have made, or idea's of how to best form language pursuant to any board, or forum, rule, is open to suggestions. While this is not a democracy here, there is just no way your suggestion won't be heard here. So I say to all......Don't just complain about a rule....offer a suggestion on how to better implement, or change it. I can promise you that your voice will be heard. We may not be able to accomodate, for a variety of reasons, but you will be told why, and the reasoning/thought process behind that decision.

Hope this gives you a little better idea of what is going on. Board upgrade was supposed to happen coinciding with the changes we have made so far, but things didn't turn out that way, so please be patient. We talked about the post that would explain to all about everything, but because of delay in upgrade, that hasn't happened yet.

Stay tuned.........HT

I'll just say, If I ever cross a line (as a moderator) that needs questioning, please feel free to adress it to me, and I'll take it under advisment, and make corrections if necessary

"...As long as people like Old Hippie, GTG, Lazy Phil, Fiery Jack, Stick and Bangkok Phil frequent the Board, I'll keep coming back. NP still rules..."

Thanks Arteiw! smile.gif

>>>>As long as people like Old Hippie, GTG, Lazy Phil, Fiery Jack, Stick and Bangkok Phil frequent the Board, I'll keep coming back.<<<<

OK Buddy......You're really on my shit-list now.......

smile.gif HT

>>>>Do I detect a little green monster...? Perhapes a poll to see who is the favorite poster...? <<<<

No..... I don't desire to see my name at the bottom of the list, if it shows up at all. smile.gif

HT

While I think, on the whole, the moderators do a good job, and it is one that I don't envy for a moment, especially on the contentious sections, I'm pleased that Itsmedave has raised this point. You guys (moderators) do need to listen to us little folk out there. If the board is being policed heavy handedly it is going to cost members as surely as letting it degenerate into uncontrolled flame wars.

As I say, for me, I dont think it is a problem yet and hopefully this latest action will be all that happens.

Archived