Would You Prefer a "Westernised" Thai Girl?

MooNoi

Just curious to know. After reading the replies to my post on the "relationships" thread, I realise that even though my girlfriend travels to many different places with her job, no matter how much she is exposed to "western ideals" and "farangs", she is still Thai and always will be. It may sound stupid saying that, but I always said that I wanted to find a Thai girl who had a been to the west, lived and hopefully studied there, and had an idea of our culture. Remember that most Thai's will never get the chance to visit our countries of origin, and therefore the only image and/or perception they have of our homes is: TV, Movies, and how we act and behave. Quite often a poor image, I'm sure you'll agree. Do you guys with regular girlfriends, and you guys who partake in the bar scene regularly, ever get frustrated with the "Thainess" of your girlfriend? I feel that a Thai girl's idea of romance and love are very different from ours. IMHO that Thais fall in love a lot quicker than farang, (no, we fall in "lust", gentlemen!), and, as we've seen on many posts before, it is very hard to know what a Thai is REALLY thinking, whereas we will quite often wear our heart on our sleves. I often thank goodness my girlfriend has a good concept of where I come from, and what farang are like, but then she goes ahead and does something that brings me back to Earth and makes me realise she's 100% Thai! What do you think guys? Do you ever get frustrated and, even occaisionally, long for the companionship of a farang girl... even for a short period of time? (I was going to say "short time", but that wouldn't sound quite right, would it?!!!)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I like them just the way they are.

To me, one of the most attractive characteristics of Asian females is that they are demure. This is one of the first things to go when they are exposed to the Western culture. I've seen it happen many times with Asian FOBs.

Jitagawn,

Yes, they do exist. My GF is the perfect example. She went to university in Australia in Adelaide for 3 years. Her family is quite wealthy, so lived a pretty "western-style lifestyle" (for a Thai, anyway), even before she went to university. Her English is about 95% fluent, (there is still the occaisonal word she has to ask me when we watch TV or something), when we go out, she dresses in a very classy "western" way - designer clothes etc. etc. When we go out with her Thai friends, or people from her work a lot of the time they talk in English. (Probably becuase I'm there, no doubt, but my Thai isn't bad at all). Some days we talk Thai in the apartment, others we talk English. It depends how we feel at the time. As far as sex goes, I feel she is "westernised" in that department too. She likes initiating sex, and often comes up with little fantasies and "games" like a western girl would.... I love it when she leaves the uniform on for instance! Sometimes when she walks in the door and I haven't seen her for a week or so, I just can't help myself! But that's another story! (I'm probably wrong, but I've never found any other Thai girl who was into initiating and experimenting... maybe some other board members have very liberal Thai girlfriends who like to experiment... I'd like to know!) She likes farang food as well as Thai, and has some very western thoughts on things, such as politics, religion etc. They do exist out there, but yes, I have been very lucky picking up such a special girl. I thought I was crazy even trying to get her on a date with me, but look what happened... okay we've been through shitty times too, but the good has been fantastic. So Jitagawn, take a punt and see what happens! Quite often, you will luck out, but there's no shame in that! One other thing, I think most of the westernised Thai girls prefer girls their own age or so. And despite what people tell you, MOST of these girls also go for looks as well. (I know... what's she doing with me?!) They are mostly financially independant so don't need or want the "looking after" that a lot of the bar girls seem to. Anyway, good luck!

demure at first and in society, but IMO, a lot of thai girls have character and even temper. I do agree that your impression is right, but it does not pass the test of a relationship. i also agree that they lose something when becoming westernized, just reading the posts from Jasmine, we can see she is as annoyed as us about certain thai traits. The thais are, in so many behavioural patterns, living in their own world, once they open up to something new, some of these patterns, endearing or not to a visitor, go with the new experiences. Interesting topic, seeing the thai/farang couples i know in SF, It seems that the most educated ones do away with a lot of thainess, rather consciously, others will do very well in the west, change a lot, but wear their thainess on the sleeve. But, hey, IMO, that is why the guy married a thai woman in the first place.

Funny, there has been a constant onslaught against farang women on Nana, but somehow, guys would appreciate a westernized thai. I mean, she may not get westernized the way one would fantasize she does, especially if she learns what lawyers in the west are for, LOL!

Archived