Is Stickmans outlook correct?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Views on most things depend upon where the viewer is coming from, and what they want.

The large number of older ex pats who are living here are here because Thialnd is cheap to live in, has a good climate, is a fun place and last, but by no means least, has plenty of other ex pats around.

However most of these do not live in Bnagkok. Pattaya is probably the main araea followed by Phuket.

I think the fresh food point is rubbish: most Western countries are awash with fresh food. although you may have to cook it yourself if you want it affordable.

All in all Thailand is a great place for the average ex pat for the reasons stated. And although there are aspects we don't like from beggars to querky administration we weigh it all up and say this is better than............................!

P127, you were not alone. I agreed with your perceptions about the intent of the original post and expected the thread to be dealt with. It hit an 8 of 10 on my troll meter. I thought Stick hit the mark. But remember, one man's heaven is another man's hell and that's a good thing. It wouldn't be so good if the entire population of the world strived to live in LOS.

BUDDHISM: You've made your obversations about Buddhism. Guess what many philosophers observations are about Christianity? There is a belief it was administered by the rich and powerful to control the peasants. Like yeah, life is hard and unfair, but just be a good, meek person and turn the other cheek and you'll go to heavan and then be happy forever and ever. Not saying this is correct, just saying there are parallels. I personally believe both religions help people become better people.

BUSINESSMEN IN MERCEDES: The best thing a person with money can do is spend it. It creates jobs and puts money in the hands of a wide cross section of people including the poor. For instance, during the depression in the USA some rich people would not spend money on fantastic cars like they used to because they thought it was immoral to flaunt their wealth under the circumstances of so many suffering people. These well intentioned people in turn made more jobless and homeless as lots of money stayed in a big vault and never got distributed to anyone.

THE FOOD: The way I look at it is because the food is everywhere, is so good, and is so cheap, there is hardly a reason for Thai's to prepare their own. Supermarkets in the USA are also going this direction; selling more prepared foods instead of ingredients. Bangkok could be described as a sea of food. And there is no comparison to the taste here versus farangland.

I am in the Stick frame of mind. To me, LOS is cheap, food is great, girls are lovely, medical care is tops (ever dropped into a simple pharmacy or a place like Bumrungrad or Yanhee?), and I feel comfortable with the people.

Hi,

I would tend to more agree with Smeg than Stickman. The food is really not that important to me, I honestly eat a lot more Western than Thai (and yes, this can be very cheap as well).

The point about it being easier to get things done was ridiculous, most things here are a nightmare to get done. And I am not certain if it is positive that people can get just about any drug over the counter without any questions.

As for housing, I think Stick is right on this one. Kinda anyway. A decent apartment here is likely to be cheaper than in the West, and once you know your way around there are some very good deals to be made.

Anyway, like I said, I would tend to favor Smeg's outlook a bit more than Stickman's. Smeg's is a bit too negative, but Stick's is too positive. For me anyway.

Having said that, I do really enjoy my life here and would not want to move.

Sanuk!

The rest of the world is not San Fran with its high tech over priced markets.

---------------------------

well you said in the west. I am glad you can get a decent appartment than 25 000 bahts in central Auckland. personally, i know of quite decent multi-bedroom places in Thonburi for 12 to 15000 bahts, western amenities, and if that is considered suburb, it's just like so many people here and London and in France. they live in the suburbs.

Things are certainly very difficult to get done at times and I don't think it's just the language barrier either, although this can make things worse. The frustration of getting things done, or even getting a straight answer is the only thing which puts me off wanting to live here. People not turning up when they promised to, shops crappy customer service, seemigly nobody being able to give an honest answer to the simplest question would really start to get me down after a time.

Stickman misses the biggest reason for me wanting to live here-music of course. Lots of places have nice weather, cheap food, housing and girls, but only LOS has such great sounds. Having seen Jintara Poonlap six times in two weeks I can say it was the most exciting performance I have seen since I watched Jimi Hendrix play. Well worth living here to see thai musicians.-peter

Some things are very difficult to get done, but some things are very easy to get done. In Thailand, the every day things are IN MY EXPERIENCE very easy to get done.

For people who have troubles getting things done, perhaps their Thai is not up to scratch, or perhaps it is a case of their manner rubbing up people the wrong way. Hoestly, people moan and groan about problems with immigration, with banks and with all sorts of other places. In my experience, dressing well, being polite and speaking GOOD Thai will result in you being amazed at how quickly things can get done. Yes, even immigration are super efficient if you handle the siutation right. Most people I know who have been here a while have few problems.

Yes, some things can be difficult to get done, but are these everyday things? Some people always seem to have problems...so I can only deduce that.....ahhh, best not to say it.

Stick

Hi,

"In Thailand, the every day things are IN MY EXPERIENCE very easy to get done."

And which every day things are it that are so much more easy to get done here than in the West? I would tend to agree that most of the every day stuff is fairly easy to get done (but certainly not all), but the same goes for the West.

Futhermore, my Thai is certainly good enough, and while I agree that the Immigration department isn't nearly as bad as people say it is, other public offices can be.

Have you ever tried registering a car for instance? Or tried to pay for a bill after the 'pay before' date? How about ordering a pizza from Pizza Company without ham?

I am sorry, but there are plenty of things here that are a big hassle (whether or not they are more so than in the West is of course debatable). And no, I don't think this is fully dependent on the person trying to get these things done, or how fluent they are in Thai.

Sanuk!

"And which every day things are it that are so much more easy to get done here than in the West? I would tend to agree that most of the every day stuff is fairly easy to get done (but certainly not all), but the same goes for the West. "

The western countries can be very different from eachother when it comes to burocratcy etc. All countries are not efficient americans.

but there are plenty of things here that are a big hassle

-------------------------------------

I guess one can deal with it as part of one's new life in one's new country. probably the real test on an expat being truly happy to live there, ie. taking all of this in good grace, as part of the territory, more than simply negatives about life in LOS.

Archived