Speaking Thai. Essential?

I think what stickman is saying is that the more money you have the more likely there are to be people around you that speak English.

For example, if you are staying in a 100K a month condo, it will have a doorman that speaks decent English and who will get a taxi for you, ask where you are going, tell the taxi driver, and make sure the the taxi driver turns on the meter. Of course, after that, you are on your own as far as getting there by a direct route, but if you know the way, you can communicate that pretty easily to driver without using Thai.

Or you will have a car and English speaking driver and don't have to f*ck with taxis at all.

TH

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im sure a few will challenge it anyway, just out of the desire to argue and criticise.

---------------------------------

stop being childish, smeg. Are you going to plant something like that in every thread of yours? Accept contradiction, it's part of being a forum... About your 7 months, did you spend them all in BKK? A shame, IMO. There's a different Thailand you can discover if you give a little effort and curiosity, that will refresh your views about thai people. Up to you!

PS: I thought you had enough of the pay for sex thing, wassup?

people should only take taxis who turn on the meter, for a beginning. As for motos anf tuktuks, I have no idea about english fares, even when i knew 5 words, i took the habit of always using thai numbers for any price asking. Cheating tourists is a multi-national sport, my worse time was in Italy, not Thailand.

regular jaunts are usually charged the same price to thai people, but even some of them are being asked too much, not just tourists. It's common to see in BKK thais leaning towards a taxi or tuktuk and not hop in, but still wait for a better deal from the next vehicle. Bartering is part of the whole culture still, and some tourists are indeed caught unaware.

Yes many people do get ripped off in terms of what locals pay, and yet they all go away gleeful of the great deal Thailand was. For the price of the behavior and intrusion of the average tourist I am fine with that. I don't mind some good fortune for Thai's at the expense of those who took no effort to know what the price should have been.

It is self rewarding to acumulate as much language as you can. I'm sory that for you it has come to you before you had a chance to adapt to the realities of Thailand in ballance of its wonders.

If you dont find different grounds to acept that Thai's don't view you as the great white hope you are going to grow increasingly bitter until you flee.

Possibly your personality is not suited to LOS?

And as far as your postings being removed for reavealing the realities of Thailand, you can't possibly be that well read on this board. This board is full of reports of bad experiences and rip offs. But if you speak of them to get someone elses insight or warn the unwary is one thing. But to simply piss and moan about how unhappy you are is not much of a contribution. I didn't see anything in your original post that was new.

"Smeg, I think you need to adjust your attitude a bit if you inted to keep posting on this board. A lot of your posts are full of negativity ("Will I be banned for this thread?", "Will I be criticised for this post by regulars, for speaking so simply?"). "

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Are you moderators getting tired, old or just moderate? A few weeks ago you could smell a troll a mile ahead and now you let this guy rumble on over 29+ posts wininig and begging to be banned. Do him (and us!) the favour PLEASE!!!

BTW, look at the posting times! Either he has insomnia or is not in Thailand at all!

Hi,

So far Smeg has not broken any rules, nor has it been proven he is trolling (he may very well be, but neither you nor I can proof it), so there has been no reason to ban him.

Just because his attitude leaves a bit too be desired is no reason to ban him.

Of course unless he changes his attitude it is likely he will soon be either completely ignored, or cross a line and be banned.

As for being in Thailand, that's where his IP places him.

Sanuk!

Smeg,

I have no problem with constructive criticism as it is sure a lot better than group-think which happens alot on this board.

I think speaking and understanding some thai helps minimize financial rip-offs by Thais against foreigners. Will it stop it? Of course not. That has more to do with the understanding of democracy, fairness, value, justice, equality, honesty, due process, etc. For now, these terms are have different meanings to thais and foreigners.

In any business transaction between a foreigner and a Thai, a completely different thought process is happening by both parties involved. Speaking some Thai isn't going to bring about some fundamental change other than a few more baht you will be able to keep in your pocket.........

What you are alluding to in your post is much more deeper and profound than language acquisition.......

Cardinalblue

Archived