Novels set in Thailand ?

I agree with your GF, I was not totally over-taken by his style, though i hear he was once nominated for a nobel prize. he indeed writes in english, i am not sure if he writes books in thai too. A friend of mine, like Chatujak, thought it was educating reading and liked them, so it is worth a reference. Also, My GF thinks there are a lot of music like Mozart in movies and shows. she meant, I am quite sure, piano and violins, but with all the respect due to her, I would not think her able to discern piano/violins with genius and piano/violins for soundtracks. Maybe your friend has studied (thai) litterature, for all I know so, sorry for digressing.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked "Private Dancer", as I could really identify a lot of the characters as people I have encountered over the years. Just started "Memoirs of a Bangkok warrior," so far really good. I also really liked "The Big Mango." "Kicking Dogs" was decent, but dragged a bit in parts. Rather funny ending though, sort of...

I remember I enjoyed "god of darkness" immensely, but I choose not to name this book, as I found "a killing smile"and "a haunting smile" not half as good.

Therefor I attributed my liking of "god of darkness" to the fact that it was the first book I ever read that was set in Thailand. Now you have me confused; is it really a great book or not? I guess I have to reread it one of these days to find out tongue.gif

Other books written by chris moore that I read were Vincent calvino mysteries. Good to pass the time, but somehow entirely forgettable!

Besides God of Darkness, I liked "chairs". I think it was a fine collection of stories as well.

Cheers,

soongmak

Archived