Cosmo Thai Seafood on Sukhumvit

samak

There are a lot of seafood restaurants in the sukhumvit area which are real tourist traps. So I searched a little bit off the main tourist stream and found this one. It is on Sukhumvit Soi 26 far down the Soi, close to the Carrefour supermarket and situated on the left side, if you come from Sukhumvit.

The restaurant is divided into an outdoor and an indoor eating area, both with some chinese roundtables. Beside the usual light garlandes in the large parking area, the owner has saved on decoration as well as on renovation of the already quite old building.

Clientele is a mix of small groups of chinese, japanese and thai businesspeople and some western tourists, who were brought there by their guide (commission?). farang/thai couples are obviously placed at the outer corner of the restaurant.

Despite the fact, that the concept is similar than in the well known Seafood Market on Soi 24, the waiter insisted, that we can also order at the table and they would choose the material for us (how kind to try to feed us with much larger stuff than needed).

The food is rather expensive. Lobster 2000 baht per kilo; crab, shrimps and fish 600-1100 baht a kilo. The menu is large, there is as well a chinese (suckling pig 900 baht per kilo) and a western section and you can even have a T-Bone steak as catch of the day from isaan.

We took the smallest pla krapong (sea bass) and put it on the grill for 450 baht. The fish came to the table medium rare (as a compensation, the vegetable was overdone) and was rather watery, so did not make our mouth water. The hoy maengphoo (mussels) were propably caught off Rayong, as they reminded us of the rubber plants down there. A cocktail of shrimps and crab meat was dominated by ketchup from 7-11 and the chicken had too many hours on air service. The cleanness of the toilets fits very well to the quality of the food.

Conclusion: Cosmo thai guarantees a cosmopolitan cuisine in the atmosphere of a factory canteen, with prices of the Oriental Hotel and a service as hearty as that of civil servants.

2000 baht a KG for Lobster????

That's $50 US for a chicken Lobster.

Damn....were they even Atlantic Lobsters???

Or just Rock Lobsters???

At that price I'll bring an extra bag next time, cook them for you and throw in a decent Cabernay.

Hi!

I have never seen Atlantic lobsters in Thailand. What they call lobster is call 'langust' in Swedish, don't know the English word. They dont have pinchers like real lobsters. They are available in the mediterranian area but not up north where I live. They are still quite good but not as good as real lobsters from the North sea or Newfoundland. I don't think they can live in cold water. Revesly I don't think that the real lobsters can live in warm water.

Rock lobster are somthing quite different and much smaller. The are still quite good though and much cheaper.

regards

ALHOLK

Its a tricky one with lobsters as there are more than 30 different types of lobster and more than 40 different types of Crayfish depending on what area you are from to what they are called, Some live in tropical waters and some in cold waters depending on the species once again, The langouste you mentioned is called a crayfish in many parts of the southern hemisphere, and in Thailand quiet often called the tropical painted crayfish as in my thinking a lobster has claws and a crayfish has none.

I also agree the lobster served in Thailand mostly the tropical painted crayfish is no where as nice as the American Main or Atlantic Lobster, The Australian and New Zealand cold water crayfish is tastier with more meat as well than its Thai cousin the painted crayfish, In Thailand I have no idea how many types of lobsters and crayfish we have here but I have spotted many different types of both crayfish and lobsters onmy many dives here and also collected a few to cook and eat occasionally when no customers were looking.

Hi!

I'm slightly confused by your reply. The shellfish sold under the names 'king lobster' (langouste) and rock lobster in Thailand are very different. The rock lobster is much smaller, with a flat head and IMO quite ugly, although it tastes good.

My personal preferance is lobsters caught on the Swedish west coast. I think this is due to them being fresh rather than being of higher quality than those on the American side of the Atlantic as shellfish don't travel well. I have heard that fresh Maine lobster is among the best in the world although I have never had the opportunity to verify that myself.

regards

ALHOLK

''I'm slightly confused by your reply. The shellfish sold under the names 'king lobster' (langouste) and rock lobster in Thailand are very different. The rock lobster is much smaller, with a flat head and IMO quite ugly, although it tastes good.

''

I deleted one line out of my post and hope it makes more sense now ,

The crayfish is not a langoustine it's a little lobster that live in fresh water not in salt water they are call "écrevisse" in french and it's the kind that they eat in huge amount in Louisiana. The crawfish have claw. The right word for langoustine in english is scampi and scampi don't have claw and loster have.

Who said anything about a crayfish being a langoustine we were talking about langouste not langoustine ??,

langoustine means prawn in French doesn't it ? but what the fuck would I know I failed French at school.maybe P127 can help on that one, The scampi you mentioned is what they call a Yabby in Australia.

As I said already in this thread, Its a tricky one with lobsters as there are more than 30 different types of lobster and more than 40 different types of Crayfish depending on what area you are from to what they are called,

Archived