No more discussions on Thai politics

khunsanuk

KS Purachai has made a point of saying he wants to eradicate prostitution in Thailand (some hope) There is a parallel thread somewhere concerning bars being seen to condone prostitution. I accept your decision on political comments, but again I agree with Fly, if the current climate continues this could be a problem for you if this board is being monitored and is seen to promote prostitution in Thailand.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i understand the decision. only problem is that it is very difficult to leave politics out of the discussion.

i think that when it would come down to the situation that authoritys would close nightlife boards the main reason would not be critizism of the current government but promotion of prostitution and those things.

the board is not mine, so i will obey the rules, only you won't see me posting much if the discussions degenerate into "which wetdreams can be fullfilled at eden" and "do girls allow anal sex".

khun sanuk,

i understand your fear and hope for you that the nightlife oriented posts won't cause a problem later on.

when you feel you can go political again one day please make a post so we know.

thanx for patiently explaining your points.

I haven't really followed the thread, but the heading in itself sounds frightening to me. Of course, Khun Sanuk has all the right to ban anything he considers inappropriate, but what state of affairs has Thailand reached to force such a decision upon him? I'm sure he doesn't bear it gladly. Thailand seems to be heading the Myanmar way - what next?

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Since neither I, nor any of the other website owners, know what is and what is not acceptable to the government, I have decided to err on the side of caution.

As I understand it you cannot criticize royalty. Other than that you can say whatever you want. Freedom of speech is guaranteed by the constitution and the Thai media would seem to freely exercise this freedom.

The reason Thaksin banned FEER was because of the reference to royalty, not because the magazine criticizes his government.

Snake Head,

The reason GIVEN was the reference to Royalty. That is not necessarily the REAL reason for FEER's "issues.".

I am glad that KS has made this decision. It is protecting me from myself! I don't want to be tempted to say (if I haven't already) anything that is going to get me in trouble. Heck, I'm already getting nervous about announcing my commitment to meet other board members (for MY pleasure, not theirs', by the way) on a specific date at Woodstock.

I think that KS intends to allow people to post that authorities have shut down NEP's 3rd floor for two weeks, or what have you. I think that KS just wants to put an end to the subjective analysis, e.g. "...irrational, hypocritical, Nazi, SOB, scum is doing blah, blah, blah."

Just watch. Plenty of enriching conversation still will avail us. Look at some recent non-sex posts from flyonzewall, for example. He has made some VERY broadly read posts on statue collecting, Thai cultural and educational commentary, foreigners' clumsy faux pas, etc. Come to think of it, why is THAT guy, OF ALL PEOPLE(!), whining about KS's new policy...Okay, Mr. flame war, take this: "cryonzewall!" tongue.gif" border="0

Sincerely,

v "don't-arrest-me" Tom Brown

Goose Bay - Love that Pastor Niemayer thing you posted. Where did u get that? Reminds me of good old Bertold Brecht.

It raises the following issue: how much freedom are we willing to give up in order to have the privilige of sanuking in Los? Frankly, if things get to the point the authorities will be giving hard time to people running message boards, do we still want to visit here, or live here? A matter of perspective, I guess.

Sanuk! frown.gif" border="0

Khun Sanuk,

I totally agree with you

It' s really stupid to put in danger a so useful board (however, very useful for me when I moved from Switzerland to Thailand in 2000) only becouse we can't restrain from speaking about thai politics.

One of the point is that from abroad people can't realise how the real situation is here.

As you said the crackdown is not against the prostitution (never forget that 80% of prostitution is thai-men-oriented prostitution and the farang scene is a minority as prostitution is strictly connected with thai way-of-life since the beginning of time) but against drugs, underage prostitution (and i'm very upset when I read stories about going with underage girls, that's could be also more dangerous than talking about politics...) and crimes: for example in Pattaya there is a dangerous presence of russian mafia: one year ago some russan hookers were put to jail and deported and the scene went down but now there is an increasing numers of russian hookers around, and where there are russian hookers you can be sure that there is mafia.

Talking about Phuket, where I live (waiting to move to BKK), the thing is quite simple: thai government want to avoid that the island become a new Pattaya: too many bar girls around told me the manager of one of the most important 5 stars hotel here, the police must do something. And if you leave a used condom on the floor of a bar, why surprised when police closed the bar. Here they are trying to reduce tha sanuk life becouse they don't want to lose the "normal" tourist.

The situation is not easy to describe and much more harder to understand: different places, different people and different aims.

We can only wait and see.

And stop speaking about politics, please!

Reagards.

vtombrown,

fortunately forums are not my only venture of agitated discussion on thai politics. there are taxi drivers, bargirls, coppers and whoever is unfortunate enough to meet me... smile.gif" border="0

>He has made some VERY broadly read posts on...<

be careful, my ego starts becoming intolerable... smile.gif" border="0

Archived