No more discussions on Thai politics

khunsanuk

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

I don't think it is that simple. I mean everybody knows this is my board, and just transferring ownership to someone outside of the country won't make much difference in my eyes.

Sanuk!

Well you will have to step down officially and just become a normal member with a new log in name. Can't imagine that they can trace the log in names.

On the other hand you might be right, if they want to f*ck you they always can. But just banning political comments from this board won't stop them either.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Hardy641:

Fly,

I would like to comment your post, but with to the new policy here my comments would hardly be welcome. So I only say, that I disagree in many points with you regarding Mr. T. You still don't see the danger. On the other hand I hope time will prove me wrong. Hope you are right that Thai people won't tolerate another dictator here. We will see soon, when Mr T will have the majority to change the constitution.

One comment though, as it isn't political. You are right that they are only enforcing existing laws and many bars don't have the corrrect lisence. However in a democratic country there is the 'right of habits'. I am not a lawyer and don't know if I got the right term in English, but as you are German you for sure know the term 'Recht der Gewohnheit'. If a law isn't enforced for decades, the government can't suddenly enforce it from one moment to another. If they have done it in Germany, thousands of people would have sued the government.

as germans, we are overly sensitive about right wing political parties with questionable agendas. but post war history has shown that most governments formed by right wing parties either collapsed very soon or toned down very fast.

look at india. against the BJP thaksin is tame. the BJP is the political wing of the RSS, an extreme right wing hindu fundamentalist group. since they are the government they had to town down their early policies a lot. look at bal thackeray who heads the shiv sena. he wrote once a book on how he admired hitler. now his administration is as riddled with corruption as every other before, maybe even more.

one politician here once told me: "in thai politics there are no friends forever and no enemies forever". at the moment it seems as every party is dwarved by the thai rak thai, but you should not forget that parties merge very fast here, and fractionalise as fast. they merge because for the time being it might be opportune to be a part of a party which is the flavour of the day, but at any given moment that might change. look at the king maker sanoh tienthong, without his fraction thaksin would have never been able to become prime minister, but sanoh might decide one day that he wants to support someone else. also chavalit has his own ambitions, and banharn too. thaksin has to juggle all these leaders who have considerable clout, keep them happy, and try to get his agenda through. what do you think how long that will keep on working? thai politics behind the scene is mainly dominated by local strongmen and godfathers. no prime minister can be in his position for long without giving them certain concessions. one of the main reasons why chuan was prime minister for so long is that he was expert in juggling them around, but that was also his downfall in the end.

thaksin has always had the problem of pissing these people off in the long run.

look at the palang dhamma party, once big and strong, now dead (lots of people blame that on thaksin, leader of the palang dhamma after general chamlong stepped down, during his not so successful time as deputy interior minister under the chavalit administration. there he started also with a lot of wind and noise...the rest is embarrassing history).

or the mod ngan, the last i have read was that they collapsed.

my prediction for the future: thaksin will not survive his tenure, his coalition will collapse and the party implode because of infighting. there might very well be large demonstrations before he leaves his post.

the scary thing about thailands future only then starts: thais have tried almost anyone, nobody was able to get them out of the problems they are facing.

if that situation arises, anything could happen.

of course i might be wrong, i just think that this is the most possible scenario. there might be other factors which could influence that tremendously, lets say like a collapse of indonesia, a crises in china, the death of some very important person etc.

a critical phase like the one which allowed hitler to come up has not been reached here, and hopefully never will. i do not think that thaksin would dare to change the constitution as he would face demonstrations thailand has not seen in a decade.

don't forget: thai people have fought many times for their freedom and i think every politician and army general is aware of that. none of them would willingly risk another massaker.

thai people are patient, they wait and see, but if things go too much against their independent nature history has shown what they are capable of doing.

don't worry too much, just think logically, even though the antics of certain politicians give reason for astonished laughter and bewilderment. smile.gif" border="0

honestly, i worry about bush junior a lot more.

It was interesting to hear General Chawalit say in todays Post that this was not going to be a propaganda ministry, but simply to respond to and deal with anti-government comments and issues.

I believe he has highlighted a real problem for this government, in that they have struggled to get their message across. This is quite suprising in the day and age of spin doctors, and also given that Thailand lacks a credible opposition at the moment.

I still maintain the bigger threat to the future of boards and websites such as this is that they are seen to promote prostitution in Thailand.

Archived