No more discussions on Thai politics

khunsanuk

Hi,

I have given this some thought and have decided that in the light of the current situation in Thailand it would be better for this board to refrain from discussing Thai politics.

Certain rules/laws are in effect and whether or not we agree with them is beside the point. We are all guests in this country, and should therefore abide by them.

I hope that you will understand, and respect, my decision to no longer allow discussions on Thai politics.

Sanuk!

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Khun Sanuk ]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

I have given this some thought and have decided that in the light of the current situation in Thailand it would be better for this board to refrain from discussing Thai politics.

Khun Sanuk,

I appreciate, understand and respect your decision, particularly in light of the Thai government's attempt to ban a recent edition of the Far Eastern Economic Review (published by that subversive Dow Jones), the use of Thailand's "special branch" to suppress the local press and other alarming developments in Thailand, but I just wonder how anyone can honestly talk about the more interesting issues that come up, such as the future of Nana, the value of the "industry" to Thailand, without at least touching on politics. Are we limited to discussions about sex only? And I am compelled to make the obvious observation, as someone who safely resides in Hong Kong, that events have truly taken a troublesome turn in Thailand if you feel compelled to ban discussions about politics.

William,

Actually things really are that bad. Caution is needed in the 2002 version of Thailand. I agree that sometimes it will be necessary to touch on politics to support an argument or make reasons etc, but I think Khun Sanuk has reason to be concerned. After all, this is not the first Thailand nightlife oriented message board to implement this policy.

Stick

quote:

Actually things really are that bad. Caution is needed in the 2002 version of Thailand. I agree that sometimes it will be necessary to touch on politics to support an argument or make reasons etc, but I think Khun Sanuk has reason to be concerned. After all, this is not the first Thailand nightlife oriented message board to implement this policy.

Stick and Sanuk,

I don't doubt the truth of what you are saying. Indeed, the fact that you feel compelled to impliment such a policy speaks speaks volumnes about Thailand and its politics.

I am afraid I must agree with flyonzwall if the board is to be any worth it will inevitably hit upon Thai politics.

Most of us are either in Thailand, or regular visitors, we only come here because we like the place. Therefore you could argue that we are a family with the best interest of all in mind. The very reason d'etre for this board is criticism. Some is information but all to often it is why did? who do? or would it not be better.

We have our own perspectives of Thailand based on our cultures. It is alomst inevitable that we see many things diferently and that is fair enough. The Thais may argue why don;t we mind our own business......indeed why not. But we are curious thinking people. The Thai's must undersatnd that. They have their opinions about us, and on the whole i think we think more of them!

Yes this government is over sensitive and paranoid of critics. Does that mean we in our world (which this is) must pander to their paranio. After all this board is not in Thailand it is about Thailand.

I suupose the real isssue is what is more important the board and freedom to passs reasonable comment in this country, it's people and it's dubious politicians, or the board managers relations with the Thai authorities!

I would assume that sooner or later, if not already, someone is monitoring these type of boards, and trouble can or will result. Thus I agree with the need to refrain from discussing Thai plotics, maybe even politics in general as it seems to degenerate into flame wars rather quickly.

quote:

Originally posted by Stickman:

I think this is very wise, esepcially given the current climate. Critisicm of the government, or even comments taken out of context could prove to be disastrous.

Is Purachai including messages boards in his crusade?

Well, it is your board and you set rules. However, banning threads or comments about the political development of Thailand, is like the ban of shows and nudity in Nana and will have the same effect. The board will loose a lot of posters.

I often don't agree with Fly, but here he is absolutely right. If the board degenerates to 'who is doing anal or gives the best BJ' then I am out and I think a lot of posters, who aren't interested in sex only as well. Just a thought. frown.gif" border="0

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Hardy641 ]

Hi,

William, judging from the responses on this thread, or rather lack thereof, I would say that no longer allowing discussions on Thai politics does not really bother that many people.

Not really that surprising anyway, since the focus of this board is on having fun in Thailand. I personally find politics utterly boring, and it looks like I am not the only one.

Regarding the reason for the ban, it is mostly a preventive measure. Since neither I, nor any of the other website owners, know what is and what is not acceptable to the government, I have decided to err on the side of caution.

Being a guest in this country I have no problem adhering to guidelines on this, but unfortunately I don't know where the lines are drawn. By disallowing discussions on Thai politics I am hoping I can prevent accidentily crossing one of those lines.

Sanuk!

PS LordToad, you are right, this board is not in Thailand, but I am!

KS, I apreciate your view and will do everything I can to obey. However I also agree with Flyonzewall. This board is about fun in Thailand, the biggest issue affecting which is the current political situation. Where are you going to draw the line? How can you comment on a particular bar being closed, or the crackdown in Pattaya without invoking politics, even just by implication?

Also, if the board does generate into a discussion about blowjob bars and #33 at Dollshouse wont that be seen as condoning prostitution, and therefore be just as dangerous. Maybe better to limit discussions to visa issues and where Bangkok Phils folks went on their holidays.

Archived