No more discussions on Thai politics

khunsanuk

You have my love, flyonzewall. Of course, that won't do much for one's ego.

Keep up the posts. We are a lot more interested in your BS than are the poor taxi drivers, who listen to you only because they just want to make a fare to feed their deprived children. Whereas, us nanaplaza guys actually actively seek out and read forums on which you have contributed posts. laugh.gif" border="0

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry KS

but bunning political comments is wrong and really that was the populist, corrupt and dangerous government doing and want.

Now the goverment is starting to say

for 2 minutes hourly on all military running radio stations, how great they are.

Since many years i study for myself the thai culture and the thai politic muppetshow with all puppets and the godfathers behind them.

(also Mr. Thaksin has two)

I give my comments also to my GF and thai friends and i give comments about bad things in my country too, so this give a balance view. And dont forget most people in south thailand dont vote for TRT.

The bun of magazins, newspapers and tv-journals is running.

Certainly, we are guests, but also we spend money and business here and Thais makes also business in our countries. So i mean we can or should give our comments. With the

globalisation all people on this planet sitting in the same boat. Some mistakes in a country influent other ones.

But of course this is your board, and everyone can going away from this board also.

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: Mentors ]

After reading that article in the Bangkok Post, which I commend to all of you, all I can say is . . . W O W!!

Very sad. It looks like Sanuk as we know it may be coming to an end. That's Sanuk with a big S - the very tone of the culture and society. The closest parallel I can think of, if you take things to their pessimistic conclusion, is Burma.

Hi,

Vtombrown said:

"I think that KS intends to allow people to post that authorities have shut down NEP's 3rd floor for two weeks, or what have you. I think that KS just wants to put an end to the subjective analysis, e.g. "...irrational, hypocritical, Nazi, SOB, scum is doing blah, blah, blah." "

Exactly.

Snailster said:

"Frankly, if things get to the point the authorities will be giving hard time to people running message boards"

Just to clarify the authorities have not been giving me a hard time at all. As a matter of fact I have never been in contact with any authorities.

This is a preventive measure to make sure that I never will have any trouble with the authorities.

Mentors said:

"So i mean we can or should give our comments. "

And you are free to do so. Just not here, where it can cause problems for others.

SanuK!

I think what we have to recognise is that the board and others like it could be closed down in an instant.

Which is better no board or a board which we can post on about all subjects bar criticism of the present regime, thats what we have to ask.

Have we all become passionate about politics all of a sudden, I don't think so.

Lets just recognise the current necessity and get on with it.

I like that article in Bangkok Post for two reasons - it says it as it is, and it's well written. The author does not seem to worry about not being quite in synch with the official propaganda. Could that jeopardize the sole existence of the paper? Hell yeah, especially when you read what the board-members living in the Land think and fear. And THAT'S WHY they wrote it that way. They realize that it is better to be the last truth-speaking paper in a still relatively democratic country than one of many Big Brother blessed pamphlets in a not so free Thailand that may follow.

Having said all that I do not think we have much to fear: we are unimportant. There is too few of us. We have minimal power. A message board about any country can be run from a server almost anywhere. Democracy in Los may have deeper roots than we realize. The powers that be may not be as wary of a dialogue as we perceive them. But if not, would this country still be worth living in? In a perverse sense actually may be - for the people who have never lived in totality. It is an experience. But either way: you do not have much to lose if you say what you think. If you give in, you may lose a quality that can be hard to get back - self respect.

Let's do ourselves a favor: let's speak our minds. Let's convice Khun Sanuk that that's the right thing to do. Because if speaking about politics gets a single person on this board in trouble, we know it's time to get the hell out of Los! People who give up freedom for a little bit of security do not deserve either! (needless to say security would be in this case a pure illusion anyway). Once you succumb to this self-censorship, it never stops. It is one of the greatest tools of a totalitarian establishment. You will start fearing your co-workers. You will start suspecting your drinking buddies - they may be working for the Ministry of Truth. Your promotion at work will depend on your loyalty to the Party. Your children's access to education will depend on your loyalty… your wife's access to health care will depend…

Have I read too much Orwell? Not only that. I used to live it. And it was impossible to leave that particular country at the time. And no sanuk, no beaches, elephants and smiles make me want to go back!

Archived