Shirts with dirty faces

Zaad

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Free speech is very important in democracy but I have to agree with you that it is a very bad taste to wear those kind of t-shirts.

I also saw last week on CNN people at a shooting range in the Washinton area and the report was about the sniper shooting people in this area. The targets at the shooting range are OBL picture now this is bad taste also IMO.

guys,

Just a quick question. Do you get this wound up when you see people sporting right-wing hate symbols in your own countries? I am talking about nazi skinheads and other such wierdos. I agree the shirts are very tastless, but there are idiots everywhere, not just in LOS.

Cheers

Jaga

"Freedom of expression is fine but there has to be limits. Would it be ok to wear a shirt promoting murder, rape, killing of babies?"

But the question remains who makes the limits? Where do you draw the line? I have no problem with a shirt promoting murder, rape or baby killing, so long as the person is not doing those things, nor immediately inciting others to do those things. I don't agree with it, but I accept it.

Sure in a school it is generally innapropriate, but walking down the street, why should I be able to tell someone what they can or can't say or wear? By making someone take off a shirt is it going to make them change their views? No of course not. So I would rather chalk one up to protecting other's freedoms and hope someone will do the same for me some day.

Sadly to say, as it didn't effect them directly (although you coudl argue it did), many Thais just don't seem to realsie the gravity of the whole situation.... I tell you what, if that Bali bomb had been in Phuket, then they would have woken up to the gravity of the situation really fast.

Stick

"By making someone take off a shirt is it going to make them change their views? No of course not."

It won't change their views about that, but it deffinately will open their eyes that most people aren't happy to see that picture/face and a little respect towards others (even if you don't know them) isn't all that bad.

Kids of course don't know anything, so they aren't to blame.

[color:"blue"] Sadly to say, as it didn't effect them directly (although you coudl argue it did), many Thais just don't seem to realsie the gravity of the whole situation.... I tell you what, if that Bali bomb had been in Phuket, then they would have woken up to the gravity of the situation really fast.

[/color]

I would like to made a mod to your statement: I'd say "the ones right in Phuket may have woken up to it" and I think that's just about the limit of what you could conclude :(.

All of this reminds me of the Nazi stuff rearing its ugly head from time to time. In the mid-'80's, there was a Nazi-themed bar here in Bangkok, with Nazi paraphernalia covering the walls, and the waiters all dressed in Gestapo uniform. No shit. The owner, a Thai, just thought it looked sharp and could not figure out why these fat old farangs would stop in the doorway and spit into the place before toddling off. It shut down eventually. I hear of similar occurrences in other countries in this region from time to time, most recently in South Korea, and the owners are always clueless as to why anyone could be upset.

I remember, too, a few years ago, there was a series of ads in Thailand for a brand of potato chips, featuring Hitler. The Hitler lookalike would be munching on the chips, and he liked them SO much that he clicked his heels and threw out the Nazi salute. No shit. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. And that's not ALL: Ads for the same chips with the Hitler lookalike were posted on the back of many a tuk-tuk in Bangkok. You couldn't go ANYWHERE without seeing Hitler extolling the virtues of these chips. Sharp protests from the Israeli Embassy here soon put an end to THAT, but once again, the ad agency involved was clueless as to what the fuss was about. And once again, from time to time I hear of other countries in the neighborhood using Hitler in their ads.

Archived