Meeting stunning non-bargirls. A discussion.

"To further complicate matters, not all from Isaan are dark skinned. But there are many dark skinned Thais who do not come from Isaan, just take a look down south. The stereotype that all from Isaan are poor or prostitutes is not correct either."

Now do you mean we don't know that?? ::

Isaan per capita is the lowest in the country though,in 1996 isaan people earned as much in 1 year as bangkokians in 1 month,according to the The Business Guide of Thailand,ed BH

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says check_bin_krap:

I would say some on this thread are far more hung up on stereotypes and skin colour than most Thais are.

Cheers!

I concur. Usually it is the ones who forget that they are not Thai or maybe acutely aware that they are not Thai.

Reminds me of a Western guy attempting to tell me what "Thainess" was and how most Thais were losing their "Thainess".

Did Punk never happen?

Well maybe not in Thailand.

"My story was to illustrate that even well-dressed, well-presented girls will make people wonder if they hang out with a farang."

And who cares?

I know a guy who is a world expert in his chosen field, no more than two dozen guys in the world with his phd/speciality. Very clever, sometimes, dresses like a tramp, swears like a trooper. Great fellow.

I know a woman, used to have green hair in 1977, now a judge. Wouldn't think it to look at her. Always been respectable in her own way. Never been a prostitute or drug abuser.

I know a bloke, former chairman of a plc. Loaded to the gills. Several expensive houses. Flash motors. Wouldn't think it when he's walking the streets in his sweat trousers or when I'm giving him a lift in my old banger.

And I know how I sometimes dress/look when I'm not working. I've had security guards follow me around stores.

So, my point is that you can never really know who a stranger is or what they do no matter how prejudiced you are or how misconceived your opinions are.

I definetely share the tastes of my bangkokians mates on this one

-------------------

I think Bangkokian mates should be happy farangs are keeping their sights on mostly "untouchable" girls, because my experience shows that if we start hitting on "their" fair types, they'd be left alone feeling sorry for themselves. Well, unless they can buy love, which i am certain is the basic deal for most fair Bkkians, if not your mates.

How many times it happened to you planning to go out with a regular GF as well as a western friend,and having problem over the girl he wants to bring along??Happened to me quite a few times.

------------------------------

I can't believe i am reading this. Don't you think it depends on the lady he brings along? If she's a fine or congenial person, not the least vulgar, thais have little problem with it, and actually, i find them by and large, less judgemental than a lot of members here, on that topic. And that's from experience again.

Guest lazyphil

This Nopebutforu is very very anal on bg topics. Working through lots of issues that, according to him have no relevence in his life as he would never play with one.

Get off your high horse and go play with your elite BKK chums!!

However, when ones see normal Thai women who sell things in the marker, food stalls or work in a factory and can live modestly and proud, it is a good feeling.

----------------------------------

jasmine, that's a bit naive, don't you think? I personally do not think that middle-class thais have any kind of feelings about low-paying jobs. Unless they are their bosses and told them how long they're supposed to work and get paid. Sorry, i think a lot of thai society markings have more to do with have and have-nots (BGs to factory workers), rich and poor, than everyone being proud VS shameful BGs. You also should ask these low-paid people what they think about sweating long days for a few 1000 bahts a month, because i think their eking a living has more to do with necessity and lack of opportunity for education than pride.

Nope, i was going to PM you, but i think this is quite OK to do it publicly. Some members who have very decent Gfs and wives from Issan, have been offended by this constant trashing of people who may not have been born on the good side of thai society, but nevertheless, are still deserving a certain dignity. I think we can all agree that a very ostentatious and bitch-behaving woman will always been frowned upon, but to assert that any BG or issan woman seen with a farang (even her husband and the mother of his children) is to be rightfully demonized as trash or scum (because Bkk mates say so) is reflecting more on the prejudices of the poster than the morals of the couple. There are simply many more outrages that reflect badly on thai society than seeing a Bg/farang in a shopping center. And if you feel that makes it harder for other farangs to date nice girls, i think a 101 course on the merits of personal charm and the scourge of low self-esteem/confidence in farang romeos is overdue.

"There are simply many more outrages that reflect badly on thai society than seeing a Bg/farang in a shopping center."

P127,

Thank you for that last post. I think that really gets to the crux of the debate. Who cares!

There are far worse problems in this nation than a country girl having the audacity to walk into Emporium.

I work with plenty of Hi-so Thais and not all of them have these hang ups that Nope and his mates seem to have. Some do, but so what.

BKK Hi-so makes up such a small percentage of Thailand that I am tired of everyone trying to worry about what they think and how they can fit in.

Face the facts, no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try, no matter how polite you speak, how you dress, what you drink, what you drive, where you live, who you associate with and who you fuck, you will never be Thai. NEVER. That means you will also never be truly accepted, no matter how much you try to think like them.

Now I'm not saying to go piss on a wat or deface a portrait of the King, but let loose a little bit and stop worrying so much what other people think. No one's shit smells like roses.

Archived