Meeting stunning non-bargirls. A discussion.

The problem with your thinking depends upon what stake you have in Thailand. I was told to bring only respectable women to any company function. Sometimes what you think or do tranlates into action by others for/against you.

So now, Since i work for a large employer in bangkok and my exposure is far greater in public, I am very careful not to be seen with bar women in ANY public venue at any time. Too much at stake. If you don't understand this, then you do work in Thailand and have very little understanding of the thai workplace and what one can and cannot do.........

While i might disagree with this discrimination in principle, one is not going to bring abrupt change just because it is not right (in our minds). That is just the way it is and i have to accept it or not work here....

cardinalblue

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] "If you don't understand this, then you do work in Thailand and have very little understanding of the thai workplace and what one can and cannot do........."

[/color]

I guess it depends on how valuable you are to your emloyer doesn't it. I understand Thai culture, respect it and adhere to many aspects of it. But I also understand that I am not Thai, nor will I ever be. Those who think like you on the other hand will always be the kitten milking with the litter of puppies. Try as you might, but you are not Thai.

I am valued by my employerfor my different perspective on things. I don't think like a Thai, and that is why I am marketable.

I too work for an EXTREMELY high profile company and must be careful. I may have to be careful with some high profile behaviour, but I won't alter my core pinciples for a few dollars.

[color:"red"] While i might disagree with this discrimination in principle, one is not going to bring abrupt change just because it is not right (in our minds). That is just the way it is and i have to accept it or not work here....[/color]

If this is the way you truly feel, I am sorry you feel so trapped and helpless as to sell out your principles.

Also the idea running through this thread was not of helpless resignation to "Thai culture", but of disdain for the "lower" class and placid accfeptence of "this is the way things are and I like it."

It is to those people and those ideas that I urge a immediate reality check.

Now maybe my friends and I (most of whom came to Thailand to work, not for the 'scene') are a different subset of the farang community than those who read this board regularly, but the view that BG-John couples are embarrassing/sad/ignorant/brazen is WIDELY held

Yeah we gotta get back to those Sunday mornings at The Emporium and play Spot the punter and his LT from last night game.

I'm talking about the girls who have just put on their post-gogo costumes and are walking around the mall, complete with tattoos, cigarettes, enormous amounts of makeup, miniskirt, pumps, and with a John more than twice their age. THIS is where everyone can see the couple for what they are and THIS is what just isn't accepted.

Hey, I said I was sorry for that! Heheh. For the record I was only 10 years her elder, give or take. Oh what a day.

"Some members who have very decent Gfs and wives from Issan, have been offended by this constant trashing of people who may not have been born on the good side of thai society"

Perhaps the crux of the debate is not a bangkokian I know would have been offended??

"Face the facts, no matter what you do, no matter how hard you try, no matter how polite you speak, how you dress, what you drink, what you drive, where you live, who you associate with and who you fuck, you will never be Thai. NEVER. That means you will also never be truly accepted, no matter how much you try to think like them"

Agree,but there are ways to make matters worse...

"If this is the way you truly feel, I am sorry you feel so trapped and helpless as to sell out your principles"

If this is the way you truly feel,I'm sorry you feel so trapped in your principles you can't adapt to the local situation.

You never heard this one:when you go abroad,leave your principles home.

I was told to bring only respectable women to any company function. Sometimes what you think or do tranlates into action by others for/against you.

------------------------------------

i guess it may depends which company, but most of my "white collar" friends working in LOS, have always told me that, by and large, when thai co-workers go out or socialize, they never bring their wives or Gfs. Its just not the way it functions in the thai workplace. Maybe customs changed rapidly in the last few months, I dunno.... I also think one should not bring too much of a premium on the importance of being a nice proper farang in order to save appearances and fit in. It's just the way the game is played in every middle-class setting around the world, not just thai, more to do with being accepted and proper than offending guests.

"This Nopebutforu is very very anal on bg topics. Working through lots of issues that, according to him have no relevence in his life as he would never play with one"

That goes to show how sharply you understand the situation...Lots of cheap short times from my part actually

"Some members who have very decent Gfs and wives from Issan, have been offended by this constant trashing of people who may not have been born on the good side of thai society"

BTW something...weird??Who gives a shit what the thais think it's polite to behave in Thailand but we have to be very delicate with the board members sensibility ::

Archived