USA duty free increase

rovineye

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do these customs guys even try anymore? everytime I come in with severel cases of beer, extra whiskey (sometimes as much as 6 bottles) way over on smokes, Cuban cigars...I declare it all on the form, and they just sort of take it, without looking...not complaining, just wondering!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it is $800 now. I just went through customs earlier this month and they still had the old forms that said $400.

I wrote down $550 as the value my goods. The customs agent asked what did I buy for $550. I showed him the gold necklace around my neck and he said ok and let me through the green line.

Yes the forms are not up to date. There were a few yentas in front of me on the plane figuring out some scam on how to get their crap thru without paying duty. I could hear their list and told then crafts don't count, and that the limit was now $800. They didn't believe me, and asked the stew, who said it was 400. So at the baggage terminal they were swapping crap around to people with the least amount of junk. A customs agent walked by and I asked him about the limit loud enough for them to hear. He concured and they all started arguing amongst themselves. I just smiled and walked away. One lady thanked me for trying to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Says rovineye:

I always leave with one suitcase and a near empty duffel (presents). Coming back both are full to bursting.

So with 200 mailing exemption, 800 in my bags, and the art/handcrafts exemption, no worries!

[sNIP]

Usually I go with one suitcase, and buy another one over there as they're dirt cheap.

I was unaware of an "Arts/Crafts" exemption! Think of all the time I could have saved not putting down every darned wooden elephant I bought over there!!

Anyhow....

-=/NN

• 2 weeks later...

I am also interested, in Teak furniture. I know the shipping and Dining set price (large carved table and 8 chairs) was less than $2000usd, likewise a livingroom set. I asked about duty and quarantine problems, and got various answers. I will call customs before my next trip to varify the situation. Feel free to call them, and let me know! :)

I had a similar situation with some strange decorated chairs I was having shipped to US. Here is what I was told on 2 occasions. The value of the item you declare is what the market value of it would be without the addition of the art. So you would declare what the value of the table would be if it didn't have intricate carving.

What is an art and craft? I have always gotten a VERY liberal interpretation of this at customs. If it is hand done and decorative rather than adding function, I count it. Tribal clothing, painted art, carved items, fans, umbrellas, and even the paintings done by elephants.

Archived