USA duty free increase

rovineye

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always leave with one suitcase and a near empty duffel (presents). Coming back both are full to bursting.

So with 200 mailing exemption, 800 in my bags, and the art/handcrafts exemption, no worries! Not that there is anything left to bring back I don't already have that is small enough to tote along. (Well maybe a little sweetie from Buriram) ::

I clear customs in LA, and sometimes I go thru the declaration line because it has been quicker. Takes a little shortcut if there is a long exit line. Noticed that the few times I had to go that way it always gained on the line. Once I get to the inspection I say I didn't realize mailed goods didn't count, had a revised customs form and always get waived thru cheerfully. Yes, even in LA!

Come on Nov 10!!!!

Question:

I never declare anything although I buy a lot of gifts (ie., T-shirts, wooden elephants, etc.). The reason I never declare is because I never have reciepts for anything so it's difficult to verify the price. I am always well below the $400 customs duty level, but if I declared these items I am afraid they may assign $ values to these things themselves because I don't have any receipts.

My thinking is that if they do search my bags and question these items I will say these things are gifts I recieved from my Thai friends and/or items I bought and used while there, or as a rule street vendors don't give receipts, etc.

I know this all sounds a bit nutty but I figure by volunteering these items for declaration I am asking for trouble.

I have done this for years from countries all over the world and never had a problem or had to pay a duty.

My question is:

What happens if you DO declare these things? Do they want to see all the items you listed? How anal do they get?

Second, if you KNOW (as I do) that my items are well below the $400(now $800) duty free level do you still need to declare these things? I assume you do but maybe I've been doing it right all along by not declaring.

Thanks in advance

By declaration line, I meant declaring above the exemption amount. Technically you do have to declare everything you buy, but you don't need to break it out item by item unless you are above what it says on the declaration form.

Receipts are not needed and may not even be useful if you have them. It is the value of the item, not what you paid for it. Customs agents have seen it all and know about what things cost. High ticket items is what they look for.

Gifts need to be declared as such and still count towards your personal exemption, and it doesn't matter whether you used the items or not.

Do not worry about the wooden chang. He is either art or handicraft, both do not count towards your personal exemption.

At least this is my take on it, but my attorney requires me to state that I have been drinking heavily in Tijuana all afternoon!!!

• 1 month later...

Archived