Double Bank Cards ?

Pom_Jao_Choo

I agree with Oldhippie that having 2 systems is best.

If I remember correctly, you are from Canada and I have never had a problem with Canadian Banks issuing a 2nd ATM Card. I simply explain that I will be overseas for an extended period of time and am concerned that I will damage a card and be unable to replace it in a timely fashion. Up to each bank, but no problem sofar.

Lots of luck.

Enjoy the grand sunuk!

I have 2 ATM cards for a Bangkok Bank account. When I first opened the account I accepted the standard ATM card. I later discovered that I could have a Be1st Visa Electron card that is also an ATM card. I applied at the bank and received it about 1 week later. When I asked if they wanted the old ATM card back, they said 'no - you paid for it, so keep it as a spare'. (always have to pay for ATM cards in Thailand it seems - never had that elsewhere) Both cards work fine in ATM machines.

More recently I opened an account with Thai Farmers Bank - I now have a similar set of 2 cards from them.

If you are going to set up a local account with BBL anyhow why not just keep enough money in that account to hold you over for any no card days? File a wire transfer agreement with your home back and then if you lose all cards you can call them to wire transfer funds in an emergency. If during week has never taken me more than 36 hours to have in my BBL account from US bank that way. If you have the account and travelers checks in box you should be in good shape.

As others have pointed out most banks do not want to issue more than one card to same name, but if a joint account, (perhaps with parents?), it would not be a problem getting an extra card (with another number if debit type card). But think that this is overkill if you have both checks and a local account.

Would not advise having extra credit type card in same number as you want to cancel ASAP when they are lost and most banks will not issue them because of that reason.

For the record or any Canuks that stumble accross this thread. I actually got off my arse today and went into the bank and found that my other bank CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Comerce) was very willing to issue a second card. So I think that will do it, having a second back up card on one of the accounts should secure things.

Archived