Yeah - they are a fucking pain!

The occasion is Ork Phansa - the end of the Buddhist Lent

period. It falls on the full-moon in October, this year the

21st. It also coincides with school holidays, so the kiddies

usually take the opportunity to throw a few fireworks around

in the week leading up to Ork Phansa.

Ork Phansa night is absolute chaos - like WWIII and then

it quietens down a bit until Loy Kratong, when everyone

expends their remaining firework supply.

I'm in Isan, and it never sceases to amaze me that people

who don't have two baht to rub together can all of a sudden

go out and blow big wads of cash on bloody crackers!

Grumpy old shit, aren't I?

I've got a surprising number of Indians in my neighbourhood now. (A dozen years ago didn't have any!) But the brats with the crackers are just the local Thais. The little SOBs were quiet for two days, but started up again this morning. Must have got some more money to buy them.

When I was a kid, we did things with fireworks like putting cherry bombs in tin cans to blow them up, lighting firecrackers and firing them into the air with catapults (slingshots) and so on. These idiots just throw them down and watch them go bang. How exciting. (When I was a student, some genius lit a cherry bomb, let the wick burn down 'til it was going good, then dropped it into a commode and flushed it. The thing burst the pipes inside the wall and the school had to rip the wall apart to fix it. Now that's being creative!)

Thai's seem to have a high level of tolerance to noise, EXCEPT when its a farang making the noise. I run a M/C shop in Ekamai in a block consisting of shops/ warehouses. I got a visit from 2 cops this AM, saying someone had complained about the noise. Occasionally we do have to test a bike at high speed running but maybe once every 2 weeks and there is so much ambient noise around here I didn't think anyone noticed. Anyway we had all the right permits to operate, so not much they could do.

I did my bit by giving the complainer a 10 min burst of a Ducati running at near to full throttle. (Just another arsehole Farang)

Same here Flashermac. A few days of respite and they have started up yet again. It is a nuisance, but as stated, I guess you just have to get used to it as a minor thing.

As for fireworks in general, I have a strong aversion to the things. I had a friend that had his thumb blown off by a cherry bomb with a short-fuse when I was young. Since then, I cannot get beyond the sparkler stage - although I love looking at nice fireworks displays.

By the way, one reason I will not return to Pattaya for a New Year's Eve celebration is because of the way the fireworks were used when I was there two years ago. Guys (farangs and Thais) were firing Roman candles at passers-by on Walking Street. One whizzed just by my ear. Also, I saw a group of Thais, including bargirls, lighting M-80s (yes M-80s) and dropping them in mugs and glasses. You can imagine the result. One blew up and shredded the leg of a motorcyclist passing by.

As someone else mentioned...I wonder how many end up in ERs here with fireworks injuries?

Archived