Noise Pollution

Sarisin

Alright, I am on a roll here with the sounds in my soi (see Fireworks thread).

Let me tell you about the latest noise pollution nuisance.

Since I moved here I have noticed there are a bunch of vendors (mostly fruit) who ride up and down my soi all day and into the evening (usually stops around 9pm). No problem there, right?

Well, here is the problem...

Each one of these vendors has a microphone and loudspeaker system installed in his truck and just drones on and on, 'Phonlamay, farang 20 baht, sapparot 30 baht.... and so on." Again, this is not a big deal.

Here's the big deal...

Lately one vendor has upped the ante. He has a system with speakers I believe he borrowed from nearby MOS and the volume actually rattles my windows. Worst of all for about 5 minutes each evening he parks his flippin' truck in front of my place and extolls the virtues of his crappy fruit to everyone. I am sure some of you guys back in Poughkeepsie can here this moron.

So, I am addressing you Science Officers out there...

What can I do?

Would it be possible technologically to rig up something that would:

a. Drown out this guy's signal

b. Send out some sort of interference that would blotto his signal (feedback, etc.)

c. Allow me to broadcast on his signal/frequency (I can do great Donald Duck impressions)

d. Allow me to magically send a shockwave of some kind to his microphone/speakers that could give him a jolt whenever he told me the price of watermelon

How 'bout it from you Junior Mr. Wizards out there?

Alright, I know this is Thailand and I should be damn happy to hear such noises in my neighborhood. But, man, would I like to get this guy. :)

Any idea short of a tactical nuclear strike on his truck would be appreciated.

Mr S

Maybe time to move house? sounds easier than putting up with it or paying someone to throw his speakers in the nearest klong. I think you know I am a bit of a thai muic fan and last time went to a couple of outside concerts where the stage and enormous PA had been put up on patches of wasteground surrounded by housing. These were on weekdays and the music did not stop untill about 2 AM- land of the free!-peter

I am quite sure he is not using a wireless mic so you will not be able to tap in without getting into his truck yourself. :(

If you could politely ask, or have some ask, him to turn the volume down a bit it might do the trick. Sign language with a smile might also get the job done if there nobody willing to do the asking. Perhaps someone in the area with a baby could explain he is waking their child?

A large electro magnetic field in close proximity to the fruit cart could render any electrics inoperable...

Or another I heard of, but I don't know how to make one, is a sonic gun. Has to be uni directional so as to be aimed at an individual and not affect any bystanders (including aimer) and produce large volume-sub-sonic sound. The frequencies should be below human hearing range and the volume powerfull. Not too powerful mind, you could liquify the insides of both the fruit and the vendor!

Oh, and the point of the sonic gun is that it makes the victim feel very queasy and ill, so much so that they may not come back for a second experience.

Cheers :D

How about placing a number of spikes strategically?

In other words where he uses to park his vehicle.

Or how would you feel about winning the lottery? For that purpose you will need some major firecrackers, the thais do anyway.

So I suggest you place a 3 feet string of large firecrackers on the opposite side of the the wall from where he parks and light it when he starts his cacophony.

Mayby he`ll take the hint.

Hua Nguu

Hi,

A large electro magnetic field. Or a sufficiently powerful radio transmitter, frequency probably not too important but power will be, at least a few hundred watts of RF is going to be necessary into a decent antenna. Oh yes, this will also wipe out most TV's, stereos, etc for a few hundred metres as well.

Sonic gun, how very Flash Gordon. Not sure about this but 7Hz or 7 cycles per second for the oldies is, I think, the resonant frequency of the human liver. Being in the prescence of enough of this energy may well make you feel unwell and you will probably fall down at least. The transducer might be a problem. It's going to be one very big loudspeaker type device. Think garden sheds and small houses.

M.

Archived