Book on Thai Bhuddism?

Old Hippie

monks and magic - an analyses of religious ceremonies in central thailand, author: B.J. Terwiel, published by white lotus.

this book deals mainly with buddhist practises in rural thailand, how the villagepeople deal with buddhism.

very interesting.

more than a few, but this one takes upon different modern themes of Theravada Buddhism:

"The Buddhist world of South-east Asia" by Donald K. Swearer.

Also, any book by Stanley Tambiah goes deeply into buddhist practices mixed with more superstitious beliefs (amulets, spirit cults, etc...). These books are not uncommon in used bookstores in berkeley (or on my shelves ::!).

Try this one.

Buddhism in Thailand : Its Past and Its Present.

By Dr. Karuna Kusalasaya. A Thai who was a monk and got his degree from India. He is fluent on Hindi, Sanskrit and English. He's currently act as an advisor to the Indian studies at Thammasat U.

This book will give you a concise historical background of the Buddhism in Thailand. The later half of the book presents a talk by infamous monk Buddhadasa Bhikkhu or พุทธทาสภิกขุ. Worth reading.

If you want a book about Thai Buddhist meditation I'd recommend a book called, I think, 'One step at a time'.

It's a really well written and simple guide to meditation and also explains the basic principles of Buddhism. It's written by the guy who wrote 'Phra Farang' and it'll set you back about 250 baht. Bargain!

Archived