Thai IDs

shotover

Barfined a gogo dancer who told me she was 20 and didn't look younger than some other girls in the same bar. She handed her ID to the Nana Hotel security guard, who read it and didn't flinch.

When she picked it up the next morning, I took a look at it and noticed it didn't have her photo (all others I have seen have photos) and only had one number in English script, 2444 (I looked carefully and made sure it wasn't 2424, which would have been ok if it was a birthdate).

Also, the guards at Nana Disco would not let her in after seeing her ID; I think the minimum age there is 20? Any thoughts or observations on an ID without the photo, or the significance of the year 2444? (yeah, she's over 1 year old).

This year is 2545 in the Thai calendar. Will change to 2546 on Jan 1st, 2003.

So, you would be 100 % sure that she was over 18 if her birthday was in the year 2526. You could be about 83 % sure that she is at least 18 if her birthday was in 2527, unless she has her birthday still to come in November or December.

Plug for the paysite : There is an article (with pictures!) of a Thai ID card and how to read it in the member (paysite).

Cheers!

The slip of paper with no photo on it sounds like what you get from the police when you report an ID missing. Although it can be used temporarily while you're waiting to get a new ID, it does not have a photograph on it. Due to this fact, they are wide open for abuse, and many establishments will therefore not accept them as proof of age.

To be safe, I'd steer clear of any BG offering one of these slips of paper in the place of a real photo ID.

well if you'd ever been in khaosan rd(to see the various ID cards cheaply on offer) etc. or met a TG telling you her ID is fake then just never ever assume things are like they appear. nothing really to worry about as fake ID's would most times get your tirak safely in places like angels or cm2...

hell I even vitnessed a BG talk her way into a domestic flight without any proper ID, so never forget TIT!

Have another great day 'cos tomorrow is hump day in land of kiwis!

The old Thai ID cards were quite easy to fake. The new ones are much more serious, with digitized photos incorporated into the cards themselves rather than just being stuck on, as well as other security features. Of course, there are still fakes about; they are just not as easy to come by as before.

Those fake "press" passes and "student cards" offered on Khaosarn Road are mostly shite. Quite a different league altogether.

But a BG with one of those paper "temporary" cards issued by the police (solely on the statement of the individual) should definitely be looked at with suspicion.

Thanks, I'm familiar with the Thai calendar, that's why I was confused that the ONLY date in English script on the plastic ID card was 2544. The ones I have seen before have the birthyear in English script on the card and thus it is easy to determine the age.

I appreciate the info on temporary ID cards to replace lost ones, as this might explain why it had no photo. Other than the lack of a photo, it looked like any other Thai ID I have seen in the past.

The irony is the Nana Security guard let her go spend the night with a middle aged farang, but the other guard just down the hall wouldn't let her go dance. TIT :)

The difference is that no one gives a shit if you sleep with an underage BG -- you're the only one who would get in trouble.

But if the police raided the dancing place and found an underage BG there, it would be the establishment that took the heat (big time).

As for the new ID cards, I have one in my hot hands right at this instant. As noted, it is much improved over previous models. It is a one-piece card, with the digitized photo intrinsic to it rather than stuck on. There is also a holographic seal on it that extends from the person's address onto the photo, and a magnetic strip on the back.

Details recorded on the card, top to bottom, are as follows:

The individual's 13-digit Thai ID number;

The individual's first name;

The individual's last name;

The individual's date of birth (day month year);

The individual's religion and blood type;

The individual's address;

Date the card was issued, date the card expires, name and signature of official issuing card.

So there are three dates that appear on the card, with the birth date in larger script in approximately the middle of the card, and the two other dates in smaller script at the bottom.

All of the dates are in the format day plus two Thai-letter abbreviation for the month plus the Buddhist Era year (A.D. plus 543).

All numbers on the card are in Arabic ("English") numerals.

The individual's face shot is at the upper left hand corner. The photo is in color, with a height scale in centimeters as the background.

Archived