Re-entry permit

Fidel

I have a non-immigrant visa that will expire on January 9th.

I'm flying home for three weeks on Dec 20th. I have applied for a work permit.

Where do I stand? If I don't get the permit before I leave what happens? Do I have to apply for another at the Thai embassy at home?

How long does it take to organize a re-entry permit? How much does it cost?

Cheers

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi fidel,

I recommend you to get that re-entry permit.

It's very easy and saves you a lot of trouble.

You have to fill in the re-entry form, copies passport, etc. and leave you passport there for a day.

The next day you can pick your passport up with the re-entry-stamp in it.

Now you have two options.

1- Single entry .... costs 500Baht.

2- Multiple entry .. costs 1000 Baht.

Goodluck.

Assuming that you are flying out of Don Muang, you can get a re-entry permit at the airport. It is phenominally easy - the re-entry booth is immediately to the right of the rightmost doorway to outbound Thai immigration in Terminal 1.

You just fill out a form, pay the fee, and they processthe re-entry permit on the spot. If you are leaving Don Muang on an early moring flight,go a bit early. The person manning the re-entry booth actually sleeps on a cot in the booth, and you have to forcefully bang on the window to awaken him (or her). In a befuddled state, they take maybe 15 minutes to issue the re-entry permit.

The bad news is that they will only issue a reentry permit valid for re-entry up to the expiration date of the most recent visa in your passport.

If you need to get a visa extension, that needs to be accomplished at Thai immigration at Soi Suan Phlu. With the extension approved, I would then recommend getting the re-entry permit at Don Muang - it is much simpler than the same procedure atv Suan Phlu.

"Let the good times roll!"

The Fighting Fish

I have never heard of this possibility of getting the re-entry permit within several minutes at the airport.

Sounds very good, though.

I have another question for you, Fidel.

I'm a little bit concerned here.

Your NON-IMM. VISA is expiring and you applied for a work permit.

Are you aware of the fact that your work permit will only be valid till the expiring date of your VISA?

So in your case...let's say you get your work permit in December and is valid till next December 2003 (1 year). Your VISA expires in January and so will your work permit if the NON-IMM. VISA isn't extended.

CAN'T HAVE VALID WORK PERMIT WITHOUT NON-IMM. VISA.

Think about it.

Goodluck.

Thanks for that guys, the airport option sounds good.

Now to really display my ignorance. I got my first non-immigrant B class visa about 5 months ago in Malaysia.

The school said they had applied for my work permit. After 3 months I had heard nothing about it and my non-immi visa expired. As I was working I posted my passport away to get a tourist visa.

When the tourist visa expired I went to Laos to get another non-immi b, they were understandably reluctant but gave it to me.

Now it seems the school hadn't applied for my work permit.. they are f**kwits... Now I don't know where I stand... they claim to have applied for my WP again....

It is my vague understanding that I can have my non-immi b extended.... help, I don't know what's going on!!!!

Can I get some 'slip' from the dept of labour and present this at the immi dept? If so how do I get this 'slip' and what other documents do I need to take to the immi dept. with me?

Cheers!

I've just been reading the thaivisa.com site and it says:

'Once you submit the documents for a work permit, you must not let your visa expire'

The work permit is only valid until the visa expires???????

Well, how do I get a longer visa? What the hell... I can't get a 1 year visa but I need a 1 year work permit...

Must I get a new WP every 3 months?

If I apply for a WP while I have a visa that's valid until Jan 9th will they only issue a WP valid until Jan 9th?

If so what do I do after Jan 9th?

Good to hear that. :)

I hope everything works out fine.

I know dealing with NON-IMM. Visas and work permits can be nasty and mind-breaking.

But once they're succesfully obtained, it's ...let's say..worth a couple of beers as a celebration. :)

Goodluck!

Archived