Re-entry permit

Fidel

Really? When I got my work permit they stamped in a multiple entry reentry permit whose validity runs the same term as the work permit. In other words, they effectively extend the visa when they issue the work permit.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds confusing, let's see...

You're talking about 3 different things here:

1- NON-IMM. VISA (type whatever)

2- Work permit

3- Re-entry VISA

You said that when you got the work permit, they stamped a re-entry in your passport.

First, they have nothing to do with eachother, so why should they?

Second, surely not the same department. Labour office for work permit, Immigration office for re-entries etc. (or airport like mentioned earlier here)

And suddenly they extend your visa, just like that?

Your NON-IMM. VISA?

Can't believe what you're saying is correct.

Like I said, place A for VISA, place B for work permit.

They surely won't do it for you, must do it yourself.

Except if your employer is willing to do it for you, of course.

Must go there next time if this place does exist like you are mentioning. :p

Fidel

Just to double check. When did you get your latest Non Imm B in Laos?

One of the teachers at my school has been told this week that they no longer issue B's - this was by a visa agency.

Can you or anyone else confirm if this is right or if he was just trying to drum up business. He has been told it will cost him 13000 for a business B from the UK as none of the neighbouring countries will now issue one ( except malaysia and he doesnt want to do the 24hr journey by train )

Ta

Yeah, you have to get your non-imm from place A. Then your work permit at place B, no arguments there.

But note: I didn't say they extended my visa. I said they *effectively* extended my visa; the long-term re-entry permit has the same effect as if they had extended the visa. My non-immb is long since expired and never explicitly renewed or extended.

Zaad-

I think it is the nomenclature that is screwing up the story here. I am here on a 90-day Class "O" visa (single-entry) that I got in Vientienne. The day after the visa was issued, I entered Thailand. I received a 90-day entry permit. In issuing the entry permit, they CANCELLED my visa, by stamping over it the word "USED". It is gone.

If I now go to Immigration and get an extension of my "authorization to be here", I am really getting an entry-permit extension, NOT a visa extension.

My work permits are being renewed on the basis of a hand-written, ink entry on my ENTRY PERMIT that reads (scrawled) "non-Im O", along with a 90-day period.

As I understand it, the technical term "visa" applies to an authorization to be inside thailand that is issued from an embassy outside Thailand. What everyone casually refers to as a "visa extension" or "in-country visa" is really an "extension of authorization to remain in Thailand" that is issued in the form of an extended ENTRY PERMIT.

There may be unusual exceptions, but for routine transactions, I think the story is as above.

Now- if someone has a long-term, multiple-entry visa, they may be here on an entry permit and also have a valid visa to come and go that is valid beyond the term of their current entry permit. A work permit will normally only be issued to coincide with the duration of your current entry permit - not the full term of your underlying visa.

This is why - if someone wants a one-year work permit - they need to first obtain a one-year extension of stay - effectively an extension of their ENTRY PERMIT.

"Let the good times roll!"

Stone Soup

Yep. My non-imm B expired in December 2001. Work permit was applied for just before that and issued in January 2002.

The non-imm B I had was multiple entry. It was never marked USED or CANCELLED or anything like that. (If you enter on a single-entry visa they will stamp it USED).

When I got the work permit, they stamped a reentry permit into my passport, whose validity was the same period as the work permit. They did NOT extend the actual visa itself. When I renewed my work permit, they stamped another reentry permit into my passport, valid until my renewed work permit expires.

This is why I said "they effectively extend your visa" because they don't actually extend your visa, they give you re-entry permits that have the same effect as if you had gotten an extended visa.

There is no ambiguity about what these things are, they are clearly marked "NON-IMM Immigration Thailand Re-Entry Permit" plus "Number of Entries: Multiple" plus some other typical stuff.

Says TEDBKK:

Yeah, you have to get your non-imm from place A. Then your work permit at place B, no arguments there.

Not quite correct.

My work permit was issued at the 'One stop Service Center for Visa and Work Permit' office. (Only qualified companies can use this service)

There the work permit was issued for one year and my visa validity was extended for one year and a muliple reentry stamp was added to the passport.

Very efficient service. The paperwork was submitted the day before and I was in the office for less than 5 minutes, just had to sign the permit and walked out with it!

Archived