Would LOS be a better place without prostitution?

i believe so

You believe it would be a better place for who exactly???

There are many activities here in LOS, taking one of them away wouldn't do the country any good IMO.

Surely many people visit this place just for the easy sex, is there any need in losing these people?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zaad,

Why are you focusing on the customers? Surely, for the women of Thailand, in general, and the girls involved in the biz, in particular, LOS would be a better place without prostitution. I sincerely believe so.

Yet, I'm of course a hypocrite since I do take part in the fun myself. It's there and Thailands problems are not my problems. Besides, I like to have sex with beutiful women just like the next guy. :)

On the whole though I think the millions/billions of baht that keeps all these super whorehouses in BKK going could be better spent for the good of all Thai people -- not just a handful of rich Thai men with an urge to screw young women. And that's only one segment of prostitution in Thailand.

All in IMHO, of course.

Straycat

Straycat,

I'm not focusing on the customers. I just gave an example.

I'm still waiting for his answer to my question:

"a better place for who exactly"?

the girls involved in the biz, in particular, LOS would be a better place without prostitution. I sincerely believe so

Again..a better place for who? The prostitutes???

If prostitution would vanish, those girls would be forced to find "normal" work. Would they survive? Would their poor family survive? Could they still pay their bills and have some free time left for any sanuk?

Not to mention those bar-owners.

These people chose to earn money this way. Could be because they're forced to or because they think it's the best and easiest way for them.

Surely THEY wouldn't dream about a LOS without prostitution.

Just my opinion.

"Again..a better place for who? The prostitutes???

If prostitution would vanish, those girls would be forced to find "normal" work. Would they survive? Would their poor family survive? Could they still pay their bills and have some free time left for any sanuk?

Not to mention those bar-owners."

I think it would mean a better life for many of the prostitutes in the long run. The temptation of fast earned money is hard to resist. But it is a short fix. Few of these girls manage to save up money for a better life. Many of them get into a habit of spending money which harms them later. Prostitution also wrecks them in many ways. Not to mention the way the are condemned by society.

I don't think they would starve without it, and they would be happier over time living normal lives. Over a life span, I think the rural farmer has a better life quality than most of these girls.

Cheers!

you would attract a different type of perhaps more family oriented tourists perhaps making up for the lost sex tourists

-----------------------------------

well, glad you think it would be a better country, but i am ot sure more sexless tourism will have anything to do with it too.

I mean, there is a lot of family and culture tourism already. i barely know anyone in France who has not been there on a tour so it's really been big on the map, to which i add being in Phrae, that's a bit off track, 11 years ago and see 2 buses full of retired french people who certainly did not have sex on their mind (well, on their schedule at least ;)). And think that the next big tourist invasion is coming already and it's going to get bigger and bigger, the chinese. i dig them for sure, but as tourists, I'd rather not be engulfed in their numbers.

Well, I think I've answered the 'who question'. :)

In my opinion LOS without prostitution -- or at least without the large-scale institutionalized prostitution scene -- would provide for a better place for all women in Thailand.

Yes, I say large scale because I believe very few countries come close to as much prostitution as Thailand. I would dare to say that there is at least one whore house in every neighbourhood of central Bangkok. I live in the upper Sukhumvit area. It's an area not know known for it's commercial sex. Yet I could point you to at least 20 whore-houses within a five kilometers radius. You've probably never heard of them, although some of them are multi-level complexes. Gawd only knows how many more of these there are in BKK. Add to that all the 'numbered motels' you see all over Bangkok and I think it's fair to draw the conclusion that prostitution exists on a large scale here. Please, note that I've not even mentioned Saphan Kwai, Ratchada, the Petcburi strip, Patpong, Nana, Soi Cowboy, Soi 33, Soi 22, Rex, Siam Hotel, Lumphini Park, Sukhumvit Square, Asok Plaza, CM2, Hard Rock Café, 'traditional' massage, barber shops, etc, etc...ad infitum.

Soon, if not alreadly, I will sound like a PC feminist. I can assure you that I'm not. Still I have the following belief: Less prostitution would mean better quality of life for the women currently involved in the trade. That aspect, in my opinion, can not be refuted. Less whore houses would also highly improve the general perception of women in Thai society. Now, my feeling is that womens status in Thailand actually isn't all that bad. Yet I'm quite sure there's a lot of room for improvement. It can of course be debated if womens status is directly linked to the vast prostitution scene in LOS. I don't know. I would think however that it's not a good thing to view women as something that can be bought. Apparantly, Thais think differently. I'm especially thinking about all the times I've had Thai men ask me if it's possible to give money to female farang tourists for sex. That should say something...

I also think rape is a big problem in LOS. But, I'll grant you that I don't know any exact numbers or whether it is related to the current state of prostitution.

Furthermore, I don't swallow that 'poor family survive thing argument'. Many societies seem to work out somehow with only a few women resorting to prostitution. That goes for rich and poor countries alike. Like many other people I can't really figure out why it is that Thailand has as much prostitution as it does. But, I do think it boils down to building a society which is bearable for the majority of the population. Thailand is not such a place. In my opinion LOS in fact provides a structure for prostitution on a very large scale. There is no real political interest to change that.

A small clique of people in Thailand can very much do as they please. That involves having 'small wives', screwing many, many prostitutes & sip whiskey in lush hotel-like multi-storey whore houses, conventiently named 'bath & massage' [arp op nuat]. I think it brings tension to society when a few can lead a 'very good life' but the vast majority in comparison, including the girls in the trade, have almost nothing. One day that bubble will burst. When that happens, the current state of prostitution will most likely be affected as well.

But as you said: '[color:"red"]Surely THEY wouldn't dream about a LOS without prostitution.[/color]'

Not yet, at least :)

My very long rant.

Straycat

Many societies seem to work out somehow with only a few women resorting to prostitution. That goes for rich and poor countries alike. Like many other people I can't really figure out why it is that Thailand has as much prostitution as it does.

-------------------------------

I will not say that things having started this way, there's not an element of live and let live that allows prostitution to flourish in a grand scale, but, without siding with all the rethoric from NGO studies and other feminist scholars, I belive it is true that thai governments have seen the coming of single male tourists as one of the great tourist bonanzas to milk for its dollars. No place like Pattaya can erect (no pun) without consentment of the central authorities. In 1985, when Patpong was doing great business, Koh samui and Phuket had barely a bar, not usre, but i think Sukhumvit was not also so sex developped. Then it happened there too, extremely visible. It's not that they turned their eyes the other way, they turned them on it, and welcomed the added $$ bonuses. We talk about these young women as being the scorn of thai society, but some of the "economic miracle" was done on their back. Just think how much you spend on girls and how much on the rest, yep, that's a lot of money.........

Over a life span, I think the rural farmer has a better life quality than most of these girls.

Yea.....but a lot of the (rural farmers) lives are better BECAUSE of these girls (daughters). New TV, fridgerator, etc.

IMO, in asking if Thailand would be better off without prostitution, you need to specify for who? The sex tourist? The bar girl? The farm families in Udon Thani? The hotel industry? The street food seller? The average Thai male????

Prostitution for the falang market totaly pales in comparison to the Thai market. It is there to stay, and is a part of the culture. Us falang did not start it, nor will we finish it. We, as falang, simply enjoy the fringe benifits of a situation that exists, and has for generations. In reality, we are just a blip on the screen.

Ban all falang from entering Thailand for the purpose of sex? What would really happen? Not a whole lot. Thailand is a very industrious nation. Reality dictates that the falang sex tourist trade drives the economy of LOS is silly.

Eliminate farang aspect of prostitution?......not a big deal.

Eliminate the reality of prostitution entirely from their culture? A total collapse.

Just my opinion.

HT

Of course, bottom line it is about money. There's a lot of money circulating in the Thai prostitution business. I'm not even sure the lower Sukhumvit shows on the richter scale of commercial sex in BKK. -- Can you imagine investing in a ten storey whore house like, for example the Poseidon. How do you exactly make sure that it won't be closed down when prostitution, after all, is illegal in Thailand ;)

There's a lot of money involved but the money is not for the good of the women, nor society. Chump change that ends up there. The real big money ends up somewhere else. It's actually quite sad when you think about it.

But as I said previously, Thailands problems are not my problems.

Hi Straycat,

>>>>>There's a lot of money circulationg in the Thai prostitution business. I'm not even sure the lower Sukhumvit shows on the richter scale of commercial sex in BKK.<<<<<

It doesn't, related to my last post.

HT

Archived