Would LOS be a better place without prostitution?

"""Maybe you should ask the girls that died of aids if they thought prostitution was the worst choice for them or the girls that got hooked on drugs and the list of stories and bad dreams goes on and on...""""

AIDS is now the number one killer of Thais as of the middle of last year. ((source CDC) Even more dangerous crossing sukumvit in the middle of the night drunk. That is scary that more people are dying of aids than accidents and we all know first hand how dangerous the roads are in Bangkok so yes it does put it into perspective. And yes AIDS is a direct effect of prositution.

Would it be a better place: yes for health reasons I guess it would be. It would be a much different place with some cranky men running around.

The benifit of prositution it is taking money out of the rich and giving to the poor. The elite want to stay elite and will keep the poor people very poor. They will run the maids to the ground, never tip a taxi driver and ask for that one bhat back, no social programs, and have tax incentives. but they will give money to the whores.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"blue"]The benifit of prositution it is taking money out of the rich and giving to the poor. The elite want to stay elite and will keep the poor people very poor. They will run the maids to the ground, never tip a taxi driver and ask for that one bhat back, no social programs, and have tax incentives. but they will give money to the whores.[/color]

True. Don't forget though that 'the elite' also make money out of prostitution. There are enormous profits in the making while a girl slide around naked on top of some guy on a plastic mattress in Huay Kwang.

Ooops, a couple of millions left over? Let's build a mainstream entertainment center on Soi 24. Not even Starbucks seems to care where that money came from...

Bangkok Post 27 Sept 2002

Straycat

You know what it feels like for you. But there must be different people with different levels of being able to cope in any job. I mean, Kurt Cobain managed to get unhappy enough to commit suicide while still a young, handsome, rich and talented rock star.

Yeah, I'm thankful to have been lucky enough to be born in Britain but the more I look around, Thailand wasn't the worst place to have been born either. Some girls aren't too battered by their participation in the lifestyle. Maybe it's because it's more culturally accepted (whatever they say) to go through a stint of prostitution. I've known quite a few who've come out the other end and moved on. There are sadder things.

[color:"blue"] I just found most of the guys on this board want to sugar coat everything and I've been there and know better [/color]

Daddydog,

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that all is rosy in the world of prostitution, on the contrary I agree with you that most of the time it quite unfair (to put it mildly).

However my reasoning is this : prostitution has always been there, and probably will always be, most certainly because it is a need of society.

So I think if a battle is to be made it's not againt prostitution, which can only result in worsening problems for prostitutes, but FOR prostitution, striving to making it more accepted by society, so it can be practised legally, in the open, with normal worker's rights to health care and safety, retirement funds etc.

I think this reasoning stays valid whichever moral judgment you have about prostution, and I'm sure you'll agree the priority is to protect the prostitutes.

I'm not a woman, and your's or other women's point of view is clearly invaluable to this kind of debate.

[color:"blue"] interested to know if you talk about Thailand, or maybe an euro country [/color]

Belgium. Here prostitution is tolerated, there are some RDL with windows, streetwalkers. Not very nice working conditions.

But then you have 'houses' advertised on newspapers, in general 2 to 4 girls and a 'mamasan' (they don't call her like that here ), where work condition and safety are much better, regular hours, usually regular customers, better safety and relaxed atmosphere.

Obviously this profession is not accepted socially (you wouldn't boast about it around) but some improvements are beeing made in some countries like Germany and Holland I believe, where prostitution have now an official statute (and even pay taxes :)).

In Italy they are talking of legalizing 'houses' (cooperatives of maximum 3 women) in order to take the girls out of the streets and fighting trafficking and exploitation.

In France and Sweden they are just going in the opposite direction, being more repressive without proposing any alternative.

(I saw an interview of the Swedish minister in charge of the matter and for her prostitution was all about man wanting to dominate the body of the woman, not once the word 'pleasure' appeared on her lips...)

In sweden its illegeal to buy sex. and you might end up in jail for doing so

i here lots of people saying they respect prostitutes but me on the other hand do not. i can respect the girl i meet or i am with but thats as far as i go. there is to muich deception lying and greed in that proffesion to say that you respect it. its not like they are doctors trying to save someones life. i do respect human beings and i do respect life. i do respect a girl for what she is even if she works as a prostitute but she will have to work harder to earn my respect (with working harder i dont mean sex).

Hello,

In The Netherlands, prostitution iss now a normal position, just like a banker, or a cleaning-lady or whatever. This also means that everybody who is unemployed or in another way not working, can be required by law to become a prostitute, since you must do any job that you are capable of, including some jobs that do not even exist.

Greetings,

Woutr Dijkslag

Says Akarr:

In sweden its illegeal to buy sex. and you might end up in jail for doing so

i here lots of people saying they respect prostitutes but me on

the other hand do not. i can respect the girl i meet or i am with but thats as far as i go. there is to muich deception lying and greed in that proffesion to say that you respect it. its not like they are doctors trying to save someones life. i do respect human beings and i do respect life. i do respect a girl for what she is even if she works as a prostitute but she will have to work harder to earn my respect (with working harder i dont mean sex).

If there is so much deception lying and greed then we would be hearing a lot more about specific cases of getting ripped off from the guys on this board. I've been on this board quite a long time and the majority have talked about having had very good experiences. There hasn't been as many stories of greed, deception and lying as you would expect given the stereotype. In fact I can only recall a few. If and when someone does get burnt we hear about it until hell freezes over. What I've seen on this board is many more guys having talked about short changing the girls and to me that's ripping the girls off.

Then when I think that most of these girls are pretty young when they get into this business and are seeing the guys, most of whom are much older then them, lie, cheat on their wives or girlfriends, and then the girls see their greed at trying to get as much as they can for as little as they can as far as financial help I believe that's what changes the girls or some of them at least. They begin to mirror those guys because it's how you're treated that produces feelings and changes inside of you more then what someone meaning what the other girls in the business tell them.

Archived