Police at Grace Coffeeshop 5am

Hidy Ho

I think what they are interested in is if you have a valid passport, and a current visa/stamp. A "copy" may just lead them to believe it is a forgery ans make more problems. I usually carry a photocopy with me. I also email myself a copy, and thus can easily retreive a copy if needed. The one or 2 times the police requested my passport, the copy was enough, as long as you also have a copy of the current entry stamp.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There would be recourse for this as there is no legislation stating that foreign nationals need to carry ID on their person.

Are you going to take the currently vacant postion on "legal knowledge/expertise to advice others on the legal requirements."???

Anyway, I also find it hard to believe that 1000 baht fines were issued to girls and farangs alike.

I removed "Apparently, everyone taken had to pay 1K baht fine." line which can be inferred as both farangs & girls paying a same amount. Also, I cannot personally verify that the farangs were taken. Please note that I was just passing along BG net info "according to my other BG friend, 2 farangs were taken as well."

As for Thais, I'm not sure exactly what the penalties are... but I'm sure that 1000 baht is not a normal thing..unless perhaps if indeed the girls were under the age-limit (stand to be corrected though).

Did you note that my BG friend was 22 as shown on her passport and paid 1000 baht?

Thai police will allow themselves to bully you if you let them.

Can you offer any examples or advices, especially at the Police Station? I stayed out of the picture and let the girls deal with it and thought this was a good idea.

P.S. I wonder if any other posters were at Grace on the same night? Or do I need to start thinking about getting a life or a wife or ??? :-)

P.P.S. Are you happier with my B&W version?

Thai police are well known for doing things on a spontaneous grudge, so if you have overstayed try to avoid any cops as they can easily have you overstaying your visa in at the Bangkok Hilton. Suffice to say you might be lucky and find a cop who cant read or write English and not understand the passport system and you fling him 200baht you might be OK.

Ok, seeing you took the time to reply I will reciprocate...

Here goes..

"Are you going to take the currently vacant postion on "legal knowledge/expertise to advice others on the legal requirements."???"

Seeing no one else has, sure why not. It's actually true. I've been in that position and been harrassed by cops for it in the past. I simply refused for them to take me to the station..turns out they were just testing me and trying to extract some money, nothing more. Subsequently I'd checked about it with my embassy also.

I'm not suggesting that to not have a copy is a good idea though - by all means carry something, could save you time, and possibly if you lose your wallet you may get it back :)

"everyone taken had to pay 1K baht fine."

Dude, I wasn't doubting your story of what happened. I was just stating that I find it hard to believe that this can happen. But also if you weren't actually in the station then did you know who paid exactly what? 2nd hand info from 'BG friends' as you call them (why not just call them 'friends'??) can't be the most reliable source of info, can it? For many Thais 1000 baht is a lot as you know and I'd imagine that it's not the standard fine.... stand to be corrected though as I stated. At the moment I'm too lazy to try and find out myself... so treat this as an assumption but I have asked a few Thais and they've told me it's too much and probably not the rule.

"Did you note that my BG friend was 22 as shown on her passport and paid 1000 baht?"

Again I was just talking generally. I wasn't specifically talking about your girl. If a girl is indeed underage then 1000 baht would seem a feasible penalty.

"Thai police will allow themselves to bully you if you let them"

Can you offer any examples or advices, especially at the Police Station? I stayed out of the picture and let the girls deal with it and thought this was a good idea."

Sure, for farangs, demand that you want to deal the situation with the Tourist Police, and secondly tell them that you would like to consult your Consular. You've got more rights as a foreinger than you might believe. I've actually just turned my back and walked away from Thai police on a few occasions. Both occasions it was obvious harrassment and both times they were insisting I go to the station with them. I was met with no grief. I've actually dealt with Thai police more times than I care to remember due to various altercations and happenings out on the town..

Also it helps to know a little of the general misdeeds that Thai police get up to, and I do, seeing as my girlfriend of the last 3 years has a fairly senior police officer for a father - I hear about many of the goings on.

For Thais the same can be said.. They are often ignorant of their own laws.. The police will bully them if they allow it.

"P.P.S. Are you happier with my B&W version?"

Yes much happier. I find it much easier to read without going into psychadelic psychosis

FF

I've actually just turned my back and walked away from Thai police on a few occasions.
A Thai guy yesterday I saw wished he did not do that, the cops told him to stop he kept going on his motorbike and they shot and killed him, obviously he must of done something quiet bad or I at least hope so to warrant that action,

Archived