Health insurance in LOS?

JJsushi

Are there any advantages to having a health insurance plan administered in Thailand? Are health costs cheap enough where you don't need the insurance and it is easier to pay cash?

Is there a difference between what a Thai would pay for insurance vs a foreigner and as a result the treatment received?

What would be some good insurance organizations to talk to?

Any website references on the matter would be appreciated.

Khun Sanuk posted a week or so ago that his family is insured with BUPA (site easy to find) and he pays, if I remember correctly, 17K baht per year.

From what I have gathered, many expats are with BUPA. I think for a sinlge person (a Thai) it would be 1000Bht per month or less.

I have been to a public hospital (Queens Cardiological Hosp?) in BKK to visit my gf's friend's son. It's clean, airy but all open, no walls or partitions (the entire floor).

Don't know about quality of service but I would want something more private than that. All patients had a family memeber staying with them.

At any time, there were several activities in sight: patients in their beds, staff meeting in the middle, teaching visit in another corner, school children (just back from school, patients' or family members' children I guess) doing their homework around a table and watching TV. All like one very large family...If it wasn't a place of pain, would have looked pretty idilic...

The chief benefit is likely to be direct billing. If you can't get that at a good variety of hospitals in Thailand from a Thai plan, I wouldnt bother (assuming you have insurance somewhere else that covers you).

Also: one thing to watch. If you are American or Canadian, you may indeed be forced to pay more, due to higher costs combined with your ability to easily go back there and stay as long as you want. So you might have to pay a surcharge, or the lifetime maximums may not be enough to cover you adequately (what if you get sick on a short trip back the US)?

many expats are with BUPA

This seems to be true but from quick read of fee schedule it seems they do not insure after age 65; so persons planning retirement here might want to look for something else (if I am reading this wrong please correct me).

Most care is quite cheap and private rooms are about the same as 3-4 star hotels in cost. But if MRI and such tests are required the costs can increase greatly.

If you are in thailand there are definate advantages to health insurance here. primarly they are priced for the thai market. I would highy highy recommend Bupa blue cross. I would stick my life on the line for that firm and litterly have. I have been with them for years with no trouble and they have always paid up

AIA is shit as far as I am concerned.. They ripped my wife off and when I called to complain they told me to shut up and I had no right to complain since I was not the policy holder.

I have also been with J Hopkins and found it ok. but much lower than bupa.

There is no difference between a foreigneer and a Thai in pricing.. I actually pay lower than my wife since mine is group insurance..

Does "priced for the Thai market" also mean "maximums set for the Thai market" also -- what are the maximums in terms of lifetime max, per incident max, etc?

Also -- group insurance and individual insurance even from the same firm can and typically will offer very different experiences. Things like preexisting condition clauses, prescription coverage, need to deal only with specially contracted network physicians, etc, are possibly different.

>in expensive Germany, you have to stay in hospital at maybe 400 USD a day and it all takes 3 weeks.

I don't think any insurance would do much for you in that case unless there are bi-lateral agreements between the countries.

As always, one has to buy a special overseas coverage. From Oz to US, 1 month, about 80US$ extra.

Archived