Sad scene

On the latest trip, I had an experience that was both very sad and food for thought.

We may think LOS is all fun, fun, fun and rely upon what we claim is a symbiotic relationship between sanukers and BGs. We can easily come to think all the BGs are hardened - but it's not always true.

I was wolfing down a Pad Thai in the Soi 7 Food Court, when a freelancer joined me - uninvited.

I was happy to talk with her, practise some Thai, even though I had no intention of going with her because I was meeting a pooying not long afterward.

She asked to go back to my hotel, but I let it be known that couldn't happen, and suggested she'd be better off investing her pick-up energy on some of the other punters dining there.

She wouldn't go, and at first I thought she was just being persistent. But then the tears started to come. She explained that her ex-boyfriend, a farang, had dumped her for a younger girl. What's more, he was sitting about three tables away, pleased as punch, with his new girl and a couple of others. She explained that they always talked about her.

She asked if she could leave with me because (in her words), she wanted to show him that she could go with a man who was younger and a better catch than her ex.

If I sent her away from the table with them looking on, it would be even more of a loss of face for her.

Now the cynics might say this was all a ploy by her to win some cheap sympathy, but I know from having met scores of BGs that she was genuine.

So I reminded her that I could not go with her, but agreed after my meal to take her by the hand, walk past the table of her ex and wander down to Sukhumvit.

She didn't try it on with me again, just thanked me and went her own way.

It was a timely reminder that these BGs should not be treated as chattle, they can be hurt, and we should always bear in mind the concept of saving face.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And everything that this girl was telling you was 100% truth? Maybe there was more to it. She might have been completely innocent, but then again, she might not have.

Regardless of if she was "for real " or not ( & I am sure she was ) , it does not cost anything to walk down the street holding someones hand ! Sounds like a nice way to end a meal to me , either a good deed or a bit of fun .

Sounds like an old Junior high school game. Dont see anything constuctive accomplished out of holding some b/g hand so some punter might feel a bit a pity for her. More than likely he though it was great that she was with another farang and now she would get out of his hair and stop annoying him, by falling him around and trying to make him jeolous.

Seeker,

It's very nice of you to do such a thing to a bg whether it was genuine or not. If you thought you should do it, just do it, otherwise you'd feel bad and guilty.

To be honest, I don't think bgs care that much about face. If they do they don't choose this profession. Please don't think I'm Jai Dum. But think how many people see her walking through the "walk of shame" day after day. They dress very provocatively to Jatujak market or some other "normal" places holding a farang twice her age??? Cat fight with each other over a farang in front of everybody??? All of this they want to maintain their FACE ???

Think about it.

quote:

Originally posted by Good Thai Girl:

To be honest, I don't think bgs care that much about face. If they do they don't choose this profession.

Sorry GTG you are totally wrong. Everyone has face, she has face with the people she knows.

Now if you want to talk about people who chose a profession that should have no face look at most politicians. Yet all and sundry suck up to them. I'm not going to get into politics here because the subject is banned here.

look at the infamous Yubamrung family for people who should be ostracised and should have lost any face that the family will ever hold for the next 3-4 generations, yet they are still feted in HIGH society. Now those category of people definitely have no face...

Archived