Dining with nice girl, anything near Ekamai?

Old Hippie

Major Ekkamai shopping center? :)

Joking aside. Quite a few restaurants and pubs along both Soi Thong Lo and Soi Ekkamai. Some are of 'chain type' (Daidomon & MK on Ekkamai, Sizzler & SeeFah on Thong Lo for example) and some are of 'individual type' (that 'Greek restaurant' at the Petchburi end of Ekkamai, Witch's Tavern on Thong Lo) -- just to name a few...there are many, many along these two streets.

You could probably just steer a taxi into either one of these Soi's, look out the window and stop when you see something suitable!

Personally, I'm quite fond of the Japanese restaurant in the same building as Sizzler on Soi Thong Lo (Sukhumvit Soi 55), right hand side after the first bend if you approach from Sukhumvit. Opens up at around 5 p.m. and serves -- to my taste buds -- excellent Japanese food. Not flashy, not expensive though.

Someone with better knowledge on the particular area should however be able to give you more specific advice. I'm just jumping in while the thread is empty :)

Straycat

Hi OH,

Bar Buri is on Soi Ekkamai 63 - with live music. A very nice place and a choice of sitting outside (quieter) or inside (cooler). Also, on Soi 36 there is a Lao/Isaan restaurant that is big and usually busy - no air conditioned areas, waiters in traditional costumes.

Many small places on Soi Thong Lor - not so many on Soi Ekkamai as I recall.

Khwai

last time when i was in vientiane kitchen on soi 36 (i guess that's the place you are talking about), there were more farangs (with or without GTG/BG) than thais there.

other possibilites:

very popular at the moment among thais is ann garden on thonglor soi 5; nice outdoor place, packed with younger people and excellent food.

on sukhumvit between thonglor and ekamai is coliseum brew arena with live band. they have a copy of mount rushmore monument and opposite the "thai" mount rushmore with thaksin, chuan, chavalit and chatchai

log cabin is at benz thonglor with changing live band (recently more jazz and blues, but that change often); they serve thai food in the main area, japanese in another area and upstairs is a steakhouse

there is another pub with live music at thonglor: witch's tavern

I would recommend a place called "Annas Garden" in soi Tonglor. Its an outside place, so it might be quite hot, but the food is aroi, and the atmosphere is quite special.

Its about 500m from Suk. rd, on the left hand side, if youre walking from Sukhumvit, that is.

If you want to go there on a weekend you might want to reserve a table, just to make sure...

Good sound system.too.

Archived