TUTTI - italian food

samak

June, they do at Bella Napoli (Sukhumvit Soi 31) where my friends and I ordered some great Italian food last night.

Best Pizza in Thailand IMO (wood brick oven) and superb pasta too.

The owner/chef stopped by our table and turned out to be from the same part of Italy as board member pabs.

Everyone enjoyed the food and the place was SRO.

Suggest you try it.

All the high-end Italian restaurants in Bangkok have Italian chefs (Gianni, Biscotti, Angelini, Rossini, Zanotti, La Scala). Has anybody tried the last one (just opened in the Sukhothai)? Not sure about L'Opera; it's pleasant enough but definitely a notch down.

Also has anybody tried the one just opened in Sukhumvit Soi 23 called Giusto?

If you are prepared to pay, you can get damn good Italian food in Bangkok: I'm not Italian, but I've eaten plenty of Italian food in Italy over the years, so I know what it's supposed to be like. I've been much less impressed by the standard of French restaurants in Bangkok.

I initiated a thread on Bella Napoli a couple months ago, but I guess it's expired now.

I stumbled onto the place the second night it was open, and ate there four times in the first week. I still think it's fantastic, although they have put their prices up 15% since then and the service and food does suffer when they are busy. Since they're open from 6:00 p.m. until 2:00 a.m. every night, I'd recommend either going before 7:00 or after 9:30 or so.

I was there last night and had a pizza bufala (with fresh buffalo milk mozzarella) that could not have been improved on. Their antipasti buffet is different every night and always high quality, and their gelato is good too.

Apart from the fall in quality when busy, my only other complaint is that the Thai owner not only smokes himself in the restaurant, but allows other patrons to do so, too. Really rude, not to mention illegal. I'd report his ass if his food wasn't so damned good.

Another tip: I would not advise trying to create your own pizza. Take what they have on the menu, and vary it as little as possible. "Hold the anchovies" is about as complicated as the staff are able to handle without completely screwing it up.

I initiated a thread on Bella Napoli a couple months ago,
I went there after your recommendation and checked it out, The pizza's are great there and the red house wine is very ok quality for the price they charge, A lot of my friends go there regularly now, as well as quiet a few guys I know from this board go there a lot as well, I reckon with the thread you started and the word of mouth chain reaction those Italian guys owe you a free meal there, ::

I agree with you and others have mentioned that the service is getting really bad, everyone puts up with it because the food is good, I reckon the waitresses there are a bit short in the brain department myself and when it gets busy they get totally flustered and confused, The Italian guy making the pizza's does a good one he call's his Special Pizza, better to ask him direct though if you want to try it out,

l'opera has as well an italian chef. the question is just whether all this chefs are every day in the kitchen to assure quality...

at the place where giusto just opened was another italian restaurant called fiorentino (also with an italian chef); it did not last long; i was there once and it was quite disappointing...

Archived