The people you meet .... Sigh.

Pescator

Last week I arrived at a GH in Phnom Phen. I was just about to check in at the reception, when I noticed there was something going on.

There was this tall american woman complaining about the price of a call she made to the hospital. The price of the call was according to the clerk 2 dollars.

The american said no way. That was a local call and lasted no more than 5 minutes, I`ll pay not a cent more than 1 dollars as the price should be no more than 50 cents.

And the conversation or rather the argument went on like that for a while. The only difference being that the cambodian staff kept their voices down and the american woman got worked more and more up.

Then a young boy at approx 10 years of age - the son of the clerk as it later turned out - cut in and explained in flawless english that the telephone in question was a cell phone and not a ordinary one - thus this price.

He shouldn`t have done that because now the woman turned to him raised her voice to a level that made even people from the outside stop and look.

He tried to reply but she wouldn`t let him and got more and more worked up. She took another steps towards him while raising her hand.

I had been watching the situation because I had a hunch that it would come to that. So without thinking I leaped in front of the women and grapped her for a second by the wrist to prevent her from hitting the child. She was now in a state of hysteria and yelled the worst terms of abuse towards me.

The child was now in tears and so was his sister I noticed.

I now just stood in front of the boy to prevent her from getting close to her. Without stopping for a second to grasp for air the woman kept screaming and then suddenly spat at me and slapped me in the face.

What would you have done?

I just took it, I was a little out of my league here, just arrived and didn`t wanna cause any trouble to the staff.

I was getting pissed off though so I told the crazy bitch in not so many words "now you go to your room or I`ll bring you there myself - by the hair". As of luck she believed me, because she went, wishing that "I caught a fever and died".

The staff told me she had been like that since she moved in. Clearly an mental disorder or something.

Mayby I shouldn`t have intervened, but I have kids myself and I`ll be damned if I should just stand there watching that woman beat the child. The staff were all small cambodian females and would probably have had little chance to stop a 6" fury.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good question.

I kind of liked to hear your assessment of the situation so I didn`t mention this on purpose.

But they said they were very sorry about the episode and I and the 3 guys I was travelling with are now proud owners of a genuine Phnom Phen Guest House T-shirt.

So I guess they must somehow have appreciated my intervention although they didn`t say so in so many words.

But you never know as it sure was a major loss of face to everybody involved.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

From the sounds of it, the lady had a "right" to question why the charge was so much....if you didn't have so much experience you could almost excuse her for not believing the kid.....however, it is inexcusable to initimidate people and then especially what she did too you....

In the end it was 2 dollars....If I was in that situation, I would have cut my losses and moved on as it is only 1 - 1.5 dollars extra than her assessment of the cost....it is not if she is now bankrupt.....

Lastly, good image to portray of westerners? These people will be scarred for life and will allows be a bit weary of westerners...

SB.

Wow. Personally I try to avoid conflicts like that especially when they do not involve me or my pals, just not worth getting spat on or slapped in the face. In fact, I probably would have intervened only if she struck a child or if she was beating up the entire staff (yelling and gesturing don't mean anything to me, it's the quiet and composed guys you usually have to watch out for) -- that's the only thing I would have done differently. I give you credit for maintaining your composure after she reacted so harshly. After thinking about it a while, I probably also would have just used words - nothing physical -- even after being slapped. Once again, it just ain't worth it, especially when you are an "outsider" in the situation. Plus you are on holiday, who needs that distraction. One thing, you mentioned that her call was to a hospital and also that she wished a fever on you. Maybe, just maybe, she was in the middle of some sort of emergency. Some people just can't handle those situations well. Not defending her actions, just trying to figure out why she would flip over a couple of bucks. But who knows, right?... There's a lot of people out there who just don't "get it". I vented on the board a few weeks ago about the moops I ran into on my Thai/Cambo trip. Now that some time has passed, and you have replayed the scene in your mind, do you think you would have done anything differently? Interesting story and good for you that you helped out the staff....

well you have all kinds of people i am sure this person is exactl the same when shes at home.

I always try to behave and act in a manner that i dont embarass myself or my company .... life gets easier that way

but many times you gt in situations where you want to raise your voice but you just know that you can not gain anything in it, sothe usuall customs is just pay up and shut up and leave....

You did the right thing. I run into women like this (well, not quite so wiggy) all the time. They demand their way and there'll be hell to pay if they don't get it. Raising your hand to a child is the last straw.

I'm not sure I could have contained myself had I been on the receiving end of the spit. I think I'd have knocked her on her ass. Congrats for keeping your cool. The neat thing is that, unlike here, there isn't an army of attorneys lurking in the bushes to sue you for assault, mental anguish and sexual harassment. ::

PhordPhan

:)

Archived