TGs who marry Farangs must be Hookers ?

sidsanuk

Hi Jasmine,

it sure can be the sun that causes darker skin.

Why is it that the Thai idea of beauty is in a soft coloured or brighter skin, like Chinese Thai and the darker you are the less beautifull you're considered?

Is dark skin equal to exposure to sun is equal to hard labour on the fields is equal to lower status?

Cheers,

Limbo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the high-end hostess lounges I am familiar with the average educational standard is far higher than in Nana or Soi Cowboy. At the highest-end place I know (Exotica) a majority of the girls I have talked to have some post-secondary education (either currently university students or already have degrees). However, I wouldn't call most of the girls at these places "hookers". They have no need to be: a popular girl can make 50,000 baht/month without sleeping with anybody. It's the fact that the girls in these places can present themselves somewhat like "normal" girls that makes customers willing to pay out a lot of money with a relatively small chance of sex.

Hi Sid,

Very interesting question, many times heard and never came to a conclusion. Therefore, everything I state afterwards is nothing then my personal experience and therefore is also not the very first conclusion of wisdom.

However, I lived and worked in the 80th for quite a while BKK. This was also the time I met my ex girl friend who is my wife since. Now, over a decade later I spend again several month ?down? in Thailand to straighten some business issues. This was the first time that I stayed in LOS for more then a several weeks since (this is also the reason for my absence on the board for the last months).

Unfortunately I have to tell you that in my opinion a lot of things changed in terms of how the Thai?s see a Thai/Falang couples. While back in the 80th I felt welcome and my wife was treated with respect, I encountered this time everything from friendliness, over hidden unsympathy to open hostility. More then one time my wife was titled as a prostitute and I therefore as a punter. My wife was shocked so was I. We never experienced this before, also not last year when we have been in LOS for a little bit business and mainly holidays. What happened?

My conclusion is that Thailand has a very bad and in my opinion dangerous influence on racism. And speaking with some friends living in Thailand this tendency is increasing very fast. To explain the reasons for it would be to a high degree political and therefore I will not go into this subject. I never could believe that racism in Thailand is a subject (see also some of my subject related statements I did in this forum. Unfortunately I would not subscribe anymore).

Now to your question. I would figure that for the reasons above, today most Thais believe that a Thai Lady together with a Falang would be looked at as a BG (in the past it was most probably not different, but less people cared about it). Even they might be right in ~80% of the cases; it is not fair to all the ladies who have never been busy in this business and all the ones who get out of it (a bookkeeper is also not a bookkeeper anymore when he/she meanwhile took over the company). They are insulted. But this is actually not the point: it is unfriendly and without any respect. And for me, Thailand was always the place where friendliness and respect is very much of value. I figure these times are over.

I mean, in Europe we were and we are aware about this problematic. And the sights we receive while beyond strange people (shopping, restaurant etc. etc.) are normal and we knew about this before we get married. But the situation is improving, whereas in Thailand I recognize exactly the opposite. As a matter of fact, we had pans to live in Thailand as soon as our finances would allow to do so on an independent basis. No we are in process to reconsider these plans. Sad but true.

As a side remark: Congratulations to New York. Even I never could live there, this is the only place we have been to, nobody, and I enforce nobody, ever gave us any look because of the different race. As a matter of fact, it was a real experience. We never realized before how disturbing these looks really are.

My conclusion is: in terms of how other people looks at you and your partner (and in no other terms) it does no matter where your Thai wife/gf is coming from and what kind of education she has etc. etc. it just depends on who the other people are and what their conception of live and what their attitude is. Like said above, to me Thailand looks not anymore like the place where my wife and myself can find the right attitude. Unfortunately.

Cheers

Hi,

[color:"red"]Is dark skin equal to exposure to sun is equal to hard labour on the fields is equal to lower status? [/color]

It is really complicated on this subject. Many people in Thailand consider light skin show the people who has comfort in life, that means no hard labor as you said. My father side has quite light skin but exposing to the sun, it turns out quite tan.

The reason that girlfriend of mine has a harder time for sterotyping because of her darker skin and many have seen BG with that type of skin, and it becomes sterotype in many people's mind.

Wish I could explain better.

Jasmine

hI,

I am sorry that you saw some hostility. My husband and I are older and many of the Thais do not give us a second look. However, when we are in a place with many tourists, we gave them confusion than any thing else.

I am not afraid to speak up when I encounter rudeness, but sometimes ones must let it go and credit it to ignorance.

IMO, there are more hostility now is dued to the more population of BG/prostitution exposed more to general public. And because of people's ignorance, they assume anyone in a company of foreign men are one of the prostitutes/ex-ones.

I don't think the attitude will change soon.

Cheers!

Hi Jasmine,

thanks for your reply.

It's fascinating to see how the average westerner doesn't think much of the degree of tan on a Thai person but the Thais try to have as much as possible a light skin.

It's just one of the many fascinations SE Asia has to offer.

The Vietnamese women take it even a step further, whilst riding thier bicycles they cover their arms with shoulderlength gloves, so their arms don't get a tan.

Cheers,

Limbo

LazyPhil,

I don't go to thailand; I already live here.

Some people are masters of cut and paste only what they wish to see in order to reflect or defend their personal viewpoints. Next time try to see more than one tree in your forest.

I was in discussion with jjsushi about a very narrow unique socialization cause-effect topic that in this particular case has universal applications in both the west and east. No further explanation needed if one is astute enough not to be quoted out of context. For others, some are left standing on the dock.....

Cardinalblue

This whole light vs dark and the sphere of color in relationship to position in society and self go way beyond thailand or other asian countries. We are talking moral, religious, social, and political implications. Just think about what colors are associated with good or evil, right or wrong, top or bottom, happiness or sadness, life or death, new or old, known or unknown, moral or immoral, heaven or hell. The list goes on and on. This list and the logic or irrational thought behind it of it are probably way beyond the scope of this board...........

Archived