Mistakes

Zaad

Haw Mawk is a delicious spicy Thai food. It's probably my favourite.

Funny thing is, I used to pronounce it wrong till my TG corrected me. Both 'Haw' and 'mawk' should be pronounced short. I used to pronounce it a bit longer: 'maaawk' which suddenly becomes the bad word for pussy. ::

So whenever I told a Thai person how I just love to eat 'spicy pussy' once in a while I saw this puzzled smile on their face.

DAMN LANGUAGE ::! I know a few other words which get a totally different (usually dirty) meaning after pronouncing it a bit shorter or longer.

Any board members around here with other silly mistakes regarding Thai language? :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dear Zaad,

I don't know where to begin............

The classic struggle is still on with the egg, chicken, far and close.

One I had wrong for a long time is "what's your name".

I pronounced the word name more like shoe, so my name turned out to be shoe Limbo. Got that right now.

Cheers,

Limbo

Hi,

"Any board members around here with other silly mistakes regarding Thai language?"

Personally I refuse to say 'banana' (well, at least the way my wife say it without the 'l' in there :) ).

Some from friends:

- one tried ordering orange juice and ordered 'naam suam' instead (i.e. toilet water)

- another wanted to order 'naam yen', yet called (in a fairly loud voice) for 'nom yai' ('big tits' instead of 'cold water').

Many people also fuck up with the word for snow, saying 'horses cunt' instead (one of my fave's :devil: )

Sanuk!

I share your sentiments about the Haw Mawk. And luckily my wife has found a replacement for the fish normally used. Salmon and trout are just fine and there are plenty of those here in Scandianavia.

Concerning mistakes that turn into something dirty when mispronounced.

here are a couple that spring to mind.

Pooying khraay dtua

Chan Chorp gin Gluai Horm

Dtaad Ork

Cheers

Hua Nguu

PS sorry about the transliteration, but I cannot seem to make thai script work on Windows XP ::

Archived