Buying land - pitfalls ?

khunsanuk

12500 is still a good price, and it is good that it does not have a chanoote yet, that adds up to the price. only take care that it is not a sor por kor land, there you cannot transfer the name legally.

a lawyer i would say might be over the top and not appreciated if it is a small plot of land. generally it is my experience that villagers do not trust outsiders. and if it comes to a conflict a lawyer will not be able to solve much. people have their own way of solving conflicts up there, if you understand what i mean...and there a lawyer would be a hindrance.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off topic...(sorry)

Khunsanuk wrote:.."We are not legally married in Thailand, so my wife still uses her maiden name..."

Huh, I recall making a visit to your pre-wedding party, at that Italian? restaurant on Soi Ruamrudee. And the following day you and your lady went upcountry, as did some resident farangs (longgun, etc) to be married. That wasn't a legal marriage in Thailand??

Khunsanuk,

please do not openly reject my precious suggestions, we are so to say in Asia and loosing face make bad mood and no hab respect anyone. :clown:

I sincerely hope your wife's case is easier that that one : My gf negotiated price for plot with family who claimed to own the land. But didn't. Legal owner some uncle but uncle died some time ago. Two legal inheritors but one of them had given his share as security for a loan of 150.000 baht to a very nasty bisnesman. Probably a bad example but can happen anytime.

Bbill

please do not openly reject my precious suggestions

Another reason to have a low key presence of a lawyer type is that government officials seem to feel more at ease if there is legal presence to confirm paperwork if any legal questions surface (perhaps they have someone else to blame if their boss finds something wrong?). In this case it may not be justified if only a couple of rai but if a large investment it could probably be useful. But as Fly pointed out it should not be "in-your-face". It can also be useful to have at least a degree holder among the family presence when conducting government office business.

>>>But as Fly pointed out it should not be "in-your-face". It can also be useful to have at least a degree holder among the family presence when conducting government office business.<<<

when we bought a relatively large plot of land, we had a conflict with the seller. what in the end was useful, was me being around and creating a shitstorm at the land office, shouting and threatening, and an uncle of the missus who then told the seller to find a compromise fast or...

the seller then rather fast found a compromise. no long drawn out court proceedings, a simple fast solution, and a solution where we gained a lot of face.

i don't know, it's maybe just me, but workwise, every single time i did sign some contract done by a lawyer i was fucked over, when i do the old style handshake business i had a lot less problems.

i have an allergy against lawyers, accountants and business administrators... :hubba:

I just went through a couple of weeks of trying to buy some land in a small village near Nong Khai.

The fellow selling the land showed me the title. We walked around the parimiter, but it didn't look like what I thought 4 rai would look like, so I calculated the area from the drawing on the title - it came out to abotu 2.6 ria and told him so. a day later he showed up with the title and pointed to the place where it said 4 rai in thai numerals. I started to go over my calculations to see where I had gone wrong when he spotted an obvious error on one of the dimensions -also in Thai numerals had they had misread it earlier. If this dimension was right it would have been about half a rai.

He vowed to have the title corrected, but ended up selling the piece of land to someone who didn't care if there was an error on the document!

I am pretty sure that the document had two significant errors on it, but the fellow managed to sell the land anyway. These were rice farmers with little education.

My point, in case I've obscured it is this: Make sure you have someone who is experienced in evaluating titles go over the deal. There are probably lots of poorly done land titles out there, and its real easy to not get what you think you are paying for.

RickF.

Archived