Genital Warts - Some Useful Information

sidsanuk

Not a fun topic I know :(

Now I am not a doctor, but have more than a passing interest in the treatment of genital warts and understandng how they are contracted.

There has been some recent discussion on the Board about warts and their treatment and some extensive, nay alarming, discussion a couple of years back here.

A 'friend of mine' ;) recently had some treatment for warts (Cryotheraphy - Liquid Nitrogen) and got the doctor to write down the name of the virus. Molliscum Contagiosum.

On looking on the net for information, I came across this presentation which seems to provide some really good stuff.

It was obviously presented to a medico type audience and is in places a bit technical, but it seems to provide some worthwhile answers to those....like my friend...who are seeking them.

You might also find it of interest.

http://www.baylorcme.org/hpv2/presentations/livengood/presentation_text.html

Sid

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Tom was pointing out that molluscum contagiosum and warts are two different things.

Molluscum contagiosum is part of the pox family and usually clear themselves after 6 months, warts are different although they are treated in a similar manner.

Thanks for posting about the warts, sidsanuk. I read the article whose URL you included, and was interested to note that Aldara is a lot more effective in women than men. Makes me wonder why my doctor prescribed it for me. And it gives me one more reason to go another route- like getting the damn things cut off. Much appreciated!

Archived