Bars on Wheels

Sarisin

The guy that owns the bar, Volk Bar, is one Kool Kat :: ... got a goatee, funky spectacles, listening to cool beats while serving cocktails. He's lived in Canada and US (Masters program at Boston University) and speaks great English .. in late 20s. His girlfriend works there with him .. she's a cute Japanese girl!!!!

According to the Kool Kat, *he* is the originator of the bars on wheels concept. Here's an article on the Volk Bar in The Nation, Volk Bar finds the right mix

He was at Ambassador Court before but they refused to renew his contract/lease and forced him out. And then they put the cart cocktail bar to replace the van.

Now he's got something worked out with the hotel on Soi 7 (just behind the van) but is not exactly welcomed by the Beer Garden or other establishments in the area (duh!!1).

General cocktails are 50 bahts and strong cocktails (including Gay Power) are 60 baht!!! Strong cocktails are pretty stiff ... I got a major buzz on one :drunk: It's a nice change .. and you can still see the traffic coming and going to the beer garden.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that "car bar!" Also Tuk Tuk cocktails in the Ambassador food court. Same guy? Wonder how all the late night set up bars on Sukhumvit get around the 2 a.m. closing? or maybe they have a serious police connection? Went to one bar cart near Soi 7 Sukhumvit, around 3 a.m. and still going strong, good drinks too! Mai Tai and a nam soda were only 70bht total!

Yep - I'm 'a fan of the van' when it's parked up in Soi 7. Myself, Redbaron and Midnite Oil (and girls) hammered the drinks menu on more than one occasion. As has been pointed out, you can see the comings and goings in the Biergarten, sit down on the wee stools that the guy has set out on the pavement err... feed the elephant, get a shoeshine, get quietly pissed. Nirvana. I believe the chap's name is Yum or similar. A switched on dude.

Also Tuk Tuk cocktails in the Ambassador food court. Same guy?

[color:"blue"]

I don't think so ... according to the Volk Bar owner, whoever controls the food court area basically kicked him and his VW Van out of there and created an imitation replacement ... after seeing how successful the business was.

[/color]

Wonder how all the late night set up bars on Sukhumvit get around the 2 a.m. closing? or maybe they have a serious police connection?Went to one bar cart near Soi 7 Sukhumvit, around 3 a.m. and still going strong, good drinks too! Mai Tai and a nam soda were only 70bht total!

[color:"blue"]

It's kind of stupid, isn't it??? Pushing the business out in the open on to the street where more people can see how some drunken farangs in late hours can be so "ba-ba-bo-bo". And I know I am generalizing here a great deal *BUT* why does it seem that most loud, obnoxious and fighting drunks seem to be English??? :devil: My observation is limited to Suk area mostly.

Before anyone starts, some of my best friends are English ... hehehe :neener:

I was at the Soi 7 establishment last two nites until 6am or so!!! The place is owned by same Thai people who owns Monica and Montica beer bars. I'm sure there is tea-money involved but don't have any details to share.

[/color]

I had a very eventful and fun walk Saturday night all the way from Soi Cowboy to the Grace. Man, the characters you meet on Sukhumvit after 2am are just incredible, not to mention the quantity of available ladies literally throwing themselves at you.

Also, on topic, I counted 8 of these 'mobile' bars on the Thermae side of the road. None were in a van or anything, but all had plenty of customers, cute barmaids, and music blaring.

Again, I just cannot believe the local authorities will allow this to persist much longer. It is amazing they would close down a rather secluded NEP or SC and let this stuff go on right on Sukhumvit. Talk about contradictions in the Social Order Policy.

Anyway, it seems like the ladies who used to just hang out on the street are now being drawn to these Instant Bars. And, with them will come the guys...although there is plenty of action at the Grace these days too.

The night scene is improving IMO. :)

I did the same walk at about the same time on Saturday and agree with you here. Outside the old Clinton Plaza is just a maze of tables on the path. So much that its getting hard to walk past!!

Girls are and hunting for punters, many of whom are openly drinking. Surely this was not what the social order boys had in mind !!

But long may it last !!!

Archived