Presents for cops

khunsanuk

Hi,

Have been meaning to write this since last Thursday, but somehow never got round to it. Anyway, here it is...

Last Thursday when going to work in the morning I was rather surprised to see policemen receiving New Year's gifts from commuters. My wife had told me that the Sutthisan police get such presents every year out of appreciation of how they handle traffic (and they do a marvelous job I must admit (seriously)).

What I had not expected was the amount of present they got; some motorbikes had presents stacked 3 rows high on them.

Just goes to show that not all cops are that bad :)

Sanuk!

My mother-in-law is a dentist and her dental clinic is close to a police station in the Sutthisarn area. Many of those cops are her patients. When she drives around you notice all the cops saluting her, funny to see. :) Not a bad connection to have in this country, especially for a farang. ;)

Unfortunately she couldn't give ALL of them a present, but as you already mentioned, they received many presents from other people.

Interesting happening.

Hi,

There was a traffic policman in front of the high school I went to in Bangkok (next to Chula) whom for 2 years I was there, saw him every school day. His primary duties were stopping the cars, and many times helped us carrying our heavy book bags and ensured that we kids could cross the street to the school safely. Every new year day, he received lots and lots of gifts. Mostly from us kids which were like a box of candies. However, rich kids gave him imported bottles of wine, shirts and envelopes of money.

My brother who lives up-country gives gifts to the mail man and court clerks also.

Cheers! :D

Hi,

[color:"red"] Or maybe this is just another sign of corruption in Thailand?

Bribing the cop with a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label? [/color]

It could be, however, I think it is more of the spirit of giving. It happens normally on new year's day. It is what I know of course.

Cheers!

>I think it is more of the spirit of giving

Jasmine is correct I would guess. Every New Year is the same. Everyone from the garbage collector, through the security gaurds seem to get something given come the turn of the year. I can relate to the earlier comment about the Rama IV police though! biggrinsanta.gif

Cheers,

Archived