Jool's - Soi 4

New Petchburi Pete

Jool's is a British pub on Sukhumvit, Soi 4, about a hundred yards beyond NEP (same side). My wife and I have eaten there a few times recently (I think Stick gave it a plug); and the food was always excellent. The roast dinners, of which you usually have a daily choice of beef, pork and chicken, are a good value ... plenty of good food for the money. On Christmas day we had an excellent roast turkey dinner for 300 Baht/each. The staff is attentive, friendly and very cheerful. Also, for my American taste buds, their hamburger, although usually well done, is the best in Bangkok. ... 150 Bt for a cheeseburger with fries, lettuce, tomato ... O.K., I just made myself hungry. I think the nice lady vendor with the best barbequed chicken I've tasted in BKK is out now, just a couple of hundred meters down the soi our apartment is on ... need my fix of chicken and a bag of sticky rice ... her som tam isn't the best, though ... over to New Petchburi for that ... but best after sunset!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that review, Pete. I have been by the place hundreds of times and never entered. Your review of the food might just get me to go.

Truth be told (here come the brickbrats), I don't care much for British food, but your ringing recommendation for the burger (even better than the Woodstock DeathBurgers?) will get me to visit.

Thanks again. :)

Dear Sarisin,

you don't care that much for English food :(:cussing:

You must be the one exception in the world that I know off :angel:

That the eternal good taste buds be with you for the rest of your live ::

But, hey, aren't you the guy that eats Big Macs for breakfast :banghead:

Love ya'all you Yanks and Tommies :neener: :: ::

Limbo

Yeah, I knew I would open the door for some abuse, but...

Good Lord, why do they have to put so much crap in a perfectly good pie - and then eat the damn thing? BLECH!

Alright, I will drop the subject or the redcoats will soon be outside my door led by that nogoodnik in the Mel Gibson movie.

PS. Fish & Chips are just dandy, though! ::

And don't get me started on La Cuisine Francaise :neener:

So Sarisin - I take it that I couldn't tempt you with a nice hot Steak and Kidney Pie? :) Or a nice bit of liver and onions? Maybe a little black pudding with a dab of English mustard? Some tripe maybe?

Hmm - s'pose from the outside it does look like we eat some strange shit. :)

As a regular at Jool's when I am in BKK, I agree that the burger is pretty good. Tastes like a burger and not filled with strange spices like another place often mentioned here. They do tend to overcook it here as in most of Thailand, but will respond to requests in the kitchen. (For burgers that are not cooked to death, try the coffee shop at Dynasty Inn, decent product and only 80 Baht.

One of the best values at Jools is the Ham and Cheese sandwich. REAL unprocessed ham and real cheese, and lots of it.

Similar spots to try in the area are Checkers and Heidelburg, the latter serves good daily specials at 180 Baht.

Good eating! :: ::

I agree that the burger at the Die-Nasty is pretty damned good. Had one at about 4 in the morning last week and it filled a spot just nicely.

I gave into the urge for a nice 'Fat Boys Breakfast' and would recommend 'The Full Monty' at The Chequers. I can't remember how much it is - but it ain't expensive. In fact I'd recommend this place as a nice change from 'the usual' once in a while. If I lived in the area I could see it being my local.

No, I knew he was Dutch, and, like it or not ( :)) I have too many Dutch friends to mistake the flag of the Netherlands. However, look at his sig, which is in French.

As to French cuisine (thank you for putting that cidilla in there mon ami), well, I do like French fries. :)

Only une blage (joke) guys. I 'enjoyed' pseudo-French cuisine while working in Francophone Africa for five years. Yum, phacochere. ::

Now, please don't send les gendarmes to my house. :)

Archived