Banned from entry in NEP

khunsanuk

There are several problems here and not all is as simple as it seems.

Arabs generally have a bad reputation when it comes to bars and many bars do not encourage Arabs. Part of the problem is often cultural and the way one set of people behave. Most of the Arabs in Soi 3 are not wealthy. They do not spend much money in bars and are often seen as time wasters/seat takers. I know at least one bar who has banned Arabs for this reason.

There is also the issue that many farangs do not like the idea of sharing a girl with an Arab. Just try using some of the Japanese clubs: round eye is not welcome as the Japanese do not like sharing.

More recent events have concentrated the mind of bar owners on the potential danger from Arabs as well as adding to peoples (customers) distrust of all things Arab.

I remember London in the early 70s when Arabs threw there money around and even so they were not wanted in many places.

I suppose we are all racist at heart, although the word should not be race but tribal. We like being with our tribe who we understand and can relate to. Other tribes have funny habits and do things differently!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says SoiledCowboy:

replace the word Arab with Englishmen and let's see the reaction for example.

Hi SC,

I totally agree with the general view here that this is wrong and undesirable, but just to mention the "Japanese Only" signs very common in BKK. Personally, I don't care - if they don't want me to go in, that is their problem not mine.

Khwai

I agree with what you say regarding ethnic clientele.I am a builder here in Sydney,and in a position where i am selective in the clients i take on.I will not deal with Lebanese( they don't pay) Iwill not deal with Indians( they are to hard to deal with and are bad payers) and i think twice about dealing with Italians and Greeks( they pick your brain and think nothing about wasting your time) This may all sound racist but fuckit,it's my business and i will choose who to deal with

Obviously the Thais have problems associating with Indians and Arabs,but it is their country and their choice.

I had similar problems both last year and this year in NEP and the go-go bars in Soi Pattayaland 2 in Pattaya.

I had no problems in Soi Cowboy or some of the go-go bars in Walking Street. Funny thing is, during the day I

had no problems entering the beer bars in NEP!

The way I see it - if the bars do not want my business, I am quite happy to go to another one where I am made

welcome. I much prefer the bars in Soi Cowboy. Less crowds, food vendors outside and traffic.

Hi KS, I also know the guy you are talking about - we spent a few days together in Pattaya. While he was with me, absolutely no problems whatsoever, but when he went out alone he was met with "Sorry, members only". However as you say he is very philosophical about it and remains jai dee. He's been to the LOS on numerous occasions, and has grown to accept it I think. I was more angry about the situation than he was.

He did tell me one funny story, though. Apparently he went into the Kitten Club in Pattaya this trip (was always barred before), and was playing with the girls as is his wont. The girls said to him "You very jai dee, why you no come here before?". He replied "Every time I come before it was members only". The girls looked very abashed!

Just as jews became a symbol to be hated in europe in the 30's, japs in the 40's, chinks and gooks, in the 50's and 60's,

we now have the arab world being the designated "enemy".

Give us all a break. Seriously.

Hi!

A Swedish restaurant on soi Diamond in Pattaya had the sign "Arabs not allowed" in the eighties and, I believe, into the nineties until it closed. On the other hand there were arabic places where westerners weren't allowed as well.

I wonder how it is that some people go ballistic when Arabs/Indians/Africans aren't allowed into some places but seem to think it's OK that westerners aren't allowed into many Japanese/Korean joints. Personally I suspect that they are PC wankers.

regards

ALHOLK

Archived