Banned from entry in NEP

khunsanuk

Sorry, Taipan, or is that Thaipan? :)

I think jai-dee is one of the first Thai words or phrases you learn in Thailand. Basically, it means 'good heart' and if a Thai tells you are jai-dee, you should be happy indeed.

This fellow is a very jai-dee individual and, as KS said, very respectful of the Thai people and their culture and customs during his visits. He is the kind of guy you would love going out with to the bars.

You hate to see stuff like this happen to anyone, but especially to good guys like this. To his credit, his personality (and probably the fact he is used to this shit), would not allow it to ruin his visit.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says ALHOLK:

A Swedish restaurant on soi Diamond in Pattaya had the sign "Arabs not allowed" in the eighties and, I believe, into the nineties until it closed. On the other hand there were arabic places where westerners weren't allowed as well.

Yep, I remember a disco afair "Marine 3" not far away from "Marine 2", that was Arab only I was told so and not allowed to enter). I don't know, if it still exists and if they still have this policy.

Afaik, there are many places in BKK, that are Japanese only too (the japanese clubs).

There are several problems here and not all is as simple as it seems.

*We* can understand the difference between those who are less desirable as customers, vs. people who are the same as us except for some relatively superficial differences in terms of skin color, accent, etc. And so the people who get caught up in this nonsense are sometimes our friends, and it bugs the crap out of us. Especially -- and I'm going out on a bit of a limb here -- coming from the same mental giants who are (still!) selling Osama Bin Asshole T-Shirts 100 yards away. The whole thing just tends to put a really bad taste in our mouths.

Another thing that comes to mind is that this is yet another area where the ignorant, insular, disconnected Thai experience just gets it completely wrong. When Thai people see people that "look Thai" to them, hear them speaking Thai, etc, well, it's a 99.99% chance that those people really are Thai! So there's a tendency to extrapolate, to think that this same sort of strong correlation can be made all the time -- "looks Arab" == Soi 3 type; black = African, etc. I don't think they really get the notion of a multicultural society. They see things in more simplistic terms.

Yeah, really -- would these same people really say they'd have no problem, that they would would welcome as some sort of multicultural utopian paradise decscended upon the earth, an NEP, PP, SC, Walking Street, etc, where we were drinking next to and sharing women with the likes of people we see on Soi 3? Gimme a break!

>the girls in the bars there do not like the Arabs for a very simple reason - they have never heard of fore play and tend to ram it in right from the start

My two satangs: asked one bg how does she feel about Arabs.

Surpisingly, she said - "very kind men. No kiss, no suck, never ask ass. Saudi man paid 20K bahts ST". Maybe, that's what she calls "kindness".

Her experience (one girl but two other sitting with us nodded) kind of confirms what you said. About the foreplay.

Just edited my post to add: that was the only time I've heard anything positive about them from a bg. Not that I've heard too many negative things either. Simple ignorance and rare encounters.

Hi peter,

I know that not so many years ago there was a policy of discouraging non-Arabs from entering some Arab nightclubs in London - members only is obviously a good line.

I used to frequent a place when I lived in an Arab country that had a big sign up saying Members Only. The trick was that there were no members but this "rule" was used to make sure that Arabs were not allowed in - westerners only. It was just a regualr pub - although they had a nice bunch of Philipina waitresses.

Khwai

I suppose we are all racist at heart, although the word should not be race but tribal.

McClouhan(sp) said it is a global village. We just don't all live there yet. :grinyes:

Too bad. :banghead:

Hi,

"I wonder how it is that some people go ballistic when Arabs/Indians/Africans aren't allowed into some places but seem to think it's OK that westerners aren't allowed into many Japanese/Korean joints. Personally I suspect that they are PC wankers."

Please tell me where I said the latter was okay, and are you sure you wish to insult me?

Sanuk!

Archived