ex pat pay rates?

thai3

THAIHOME said:

Seems to me, this thread was seriously misnamed. It is titled expat pay rates and then the thread went into a discussion solely about English teacher pay rates.

There are lots of expats that aren't English teachers. :neener:

TH

But, if no one else is going to reply but teachers then....... and he did have a few digs at teachers.

So how much do you get?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>He teaches about 20 – 25 hours a month. This along with his monthly salary of 70K after tax gives him a decent amount and results in good living in Thailand. <<

I have never heard of anybody making that much with English teaching in Thailand. I check from time to time the Ajarn-board (as you most probably know, this site and forum are primarily targeting English-teachers) and there is THB 40K - THB 45K stated as the upper end, which is imo much more realistic. The average salary is THB 20K - THB 30K, depending on your qualification.

The jobs over 50k or 60k don't seem to get advertised on Ajarn. I've managed to get a private or two in the four digit/hour range and could probably secure more if I really marketed myself and wanted to go in that direction.

The answer to getting those rates is obviously to be good at what you do but also networking.

Networking is much more essential over here than where I come from in the West. In the west, up to a certain level, my background and past experience will atleast get me in the door and give me a shot. Here, I get jack unless I know someone.

<<burp>>

"So how much do you get? "

Unfortunately, I am not assigned to Thailand right now, but when I was last year, here is the package:

Full US salary + 25%

100K housing allowance

10K utility allowance

Car and driver

Amount equal to a business class ticket to US (for 2 people) once a year

Tuition and boarding at an international school for wife's daughter

Tax equalization payment to cover Foreign Income Tax

Medical Insurance

Company matching (6%) contribution to retirement

It is with some amusement I read about people that are making 50K a month saying they can't imagine working for 25K a month.

My feelings exactly.

TH

"So how much do you get? "

I was 6 years assigned to Thailand, my package was:

- Hour base rate 120 $US, minimum 140 hours/month.

- Overtime (all hour over 160 hour/month) @ 180 $US.

- Housing allowance 150 KBaht, utilities included.

- Car allowance 40 KBaht/month.

- Driver. (never used)

- 4 Business class trips to my home country/year (or money case that I didn't use it).

- One full month vacation/year (They paid 160 hours that month).

- International school costs for my kids.

- Full medical insurance at Bumrumgrad.

- 8% of 'salary' for my retirement plan.

- 100% of the maintenance costs of my house at my home country.

- 3% increment of all those conditions every year.

Do I forget something?

Guest lazyphil

I sincerely admire these expat guys on such packages but I have to ask are their spouses earning anything like these amounts of money?? (we're talking a highly educated Thai to be able to???)--You know what the next question will be if they dont......

Archived