ex pat pay rates?

thai3

There is a big difference between going on overseas assignment for your present employer and moving to Thailand and getting an that pays 60K or so a month.

One is generally a career enhancing move, the other is IMHO pretty much a deadend.

I wonder if some of the people on this board that work in Thailand have thought it through. What are they going to do when they are 65 or 70 or more?

TH

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"So, you live on *much* more than standard living expenses, the Thais get standard."

Regardless of your nationality you are upgraded to local levels if needed, but never downgraded. Why would someone take an assignment for less then they can make in their own country?

It just so happens that as an American, I will never be upgraded since my salary is always higher then local.

TH

>- working abroad does not help your career, except it is integrated in your career-path (which only seems to be the case, when the CEO/ upper management was working abroad too. In your company it seems to be).

You should restrict your book to Thailand. Other than that it's not true.

Do you really think it does not help my career to work in Japan, most spoiled and biggest market for our products?

An example: if I told you that my former coworkers drop their jaws when they hear that one of my customers here handles 80 thousand emails per second relying on my gear...would you still say it does not help my career? And other stories that simply come out because the environment is so large, advanced and heavy duty that anything back home looks like mickey mouse. The fourth largest site in the world (that I looked after) back home is 10% of this site here, if that.

What one sees here in a month, may remain unseen back home over 10 years.

lazyphil said:

ok point taken--I dont know if they do or not then--I doubt it but my original point was I guess that a low paid English teacher with a genuine relationship can sleep easier in the knowledge shes not gold digging him :dunno:--hey I'm just a bit pissed off some expats are living it up on big money and I cant--thats the bottom line :o ::

Why should our wives know how much we earn? ::

Peter1964 said:

No, I am not envious! ::

Are these expat jobs still available? What I have heard, they are definitely on the decline and many people coming to LOS are on a contract basis and getting a home-country-equal salary, minus(!) 25% because living is much cheaper.

The company I worked for in Thailand is applying this approach, the result is that there is only one ex-pat left at the location I used to work at.

I know at least five guys that refused to take my position in Thailand due to the budget constraints. Couple of weeks ago I received the proposal to go back, but I refused it too. 6 years was more than enough. Anyhow they insisted and I'm coming to Thailand next week, they want to convince me to come back. :grinyes: Unless the $ proposal is similar to the one I used to have I will tell them :neener: :neener: and move to somewhere else, I want to learn a new language.

When you say unqualified you mean those without degrees, right?

I'm in a position now where I can return to the UK and work tomorrow, got a job offer from previous employer, or do some English teaching in Thailand. Currently enjoying the joys of the Philippines. I've got a degree, profession and 3 post-grad qualifications. However, I don't have a TEFL qualification. I think they are worthwhile but I don't see how the likes of TEFL Intl can justify $1500 US for a month course when ECC offer a 2 week intro course for $395 US. Nor when I look at job adverts with little incentive to pay extra to TEFL qualified teachers.

Peter1964 said:

No, I am not envious! ::

Are these expat jobs still available? What I have heard, they are definitely on the decline and many people coming to LOS are on a contract basis and getting a home-country-equal salary, minus(!) 25% because living is much cheaper.

Expat jobs have been on the decline for a long time, with 'localization' of office staff being the trend. However, in many organizations that I know of this has flattened out and reversed in some cases.

There's also a trend to employment of 'half-pats' - those foreigners who hold a Western standard position in terms of responsibility and compensation, but don't receive the perks of an expat such as housing, international schools, and whatnot.

Cheers!

I have to agree with you there, Sukhumvit on the certifications. Some schools put a little too much into them.

I was thinking of doing a little part-time teaching more for fun rather than the money (I had a full-time job). I have three BA degrees, an MBA, a PhD, 3 years experience teaching at an American university, and 8 years experience teaching English as a Second Language in Korea and Thailand.

The only question asked in reply to my email/resume sent was if I had my TEFL qualification. I do not and did not bother responding. A few days later I got an email asking to come for an interview. I did not go.

I do not know a lot about the TEFL, but I do know how to teach. Degrees + Experience don't always make it I guess.

By the way, the most lucrative teaching job I had in the LOS paid 1,800 B an hour. I was teaching/tutoring a member of the Royal Family and was even picked up in a car to go for the two-hour sessions. It was only two hours a week. It was interesting at first, but my travel schedule caused me to stop the tutoring. I prefer teaching in a class to tutoring.

Archived